79 gs750 ign problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 gs750 ign problems

Hello all, I just moved and having a hard time finding my manual for my bike so here is what I have found wrong with my bike after I installed the dyna ign and some accel coils last fall. There is 2 leads going to each coil and one of those 4 leads only has maybe 1.5 volt while the other 3 are around 12v. Can someone help me out with what to check next or replace. Many thanks ya'll!!

Try swapping the coils side to side. MAKE sure you have 3-5 ohm coils

Comment

Its the 4 colored wires powering the coils though. The coils should be good though.

Comment

So hey fellas, Im still battling this problem.. was wondering if anyone knows what might be the problem why I dont have 12v at one of the four leads going TO the coils. Many thanks!!!

Comment

Re: 79 gs750 ign problems

On the ends of each coil, you will find two terminals. One positive/orange/white wire and the other terminal is negative and will be either a black or white wire. The orange/white wires are 12 positive power TO the coil. There is only one orange/white lead in your wiring harness. To have two orange/white leads so that one goes to each coil. there is a "Y" wired to the main wire in your wiring harness. If you have 12 volts on either of your orange/white wires, you can put a jumper wire between the two positive terminals on your coil (of course leaving the good orange/white wire connected to the coil.) The faulty or shorted original Orange/white wire should be disconnected and either removed or taped over so it cannot ground to anything. the negative terminals on your coils are the black and white wires. These are output wires. They power the left and right pickups found under the crankshaft cover on the right side of the engine.

Earl

Originally posted by coltrain
          Hello all, I just moved and having a hard time finding my manual for my bike so here is what I have found wrong with my bike after I installed the dyna ign and some accel coils last fall. There is 2 leads going to each coil and one of those 4 leads only has maybe 1.5 volt while the other 3 are around 12v. Can someone help me out with what to check next or replace. Many thanks ya'll!!
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

OK OK OK I worked on my bike last weekend, and turns out its the primary leads goin to the coils or the black and white wire are now both only giving me maybe 1.5 v where the other orange striped wires are givin me closer to 12v. Im almost positive this is my problem and before this weekend it would fire up on the cylinders that would fire, now it wont fire at all, and I think its because something failed somewhere, I just have no idea, could it be my dyna ign? Where does that black and white wire come from?

Comment

So, doesnt that black and white wire that are going to the coils gets wired from the dyna ign right? Man I dont wanna take it to the shop.

Comment

The orange/white wires are Power Supply (12v) TO the coils. The black and white wires are OUTPUT from the coils. The black outputs power from the coil to power the Dyna pickup on the crankshaft. the white outputs power from the other coil to power the other Dyna pickup on the crankshaft.

Earl

Originally posted by coltrain
                So, doesnt that black and white wire that are going to the coils gets wired from the dyna ign right? Man I dont wanna take it to the shop.
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

So does that mean my coils have gone bad, or am I supposed to get like 1v coming off the coil to the white and black? By the way, thanks for all your help on this!!!

Comment

So does anybody know what voltage I should have at the black wire and white wire going to each coil? My dyna connections are all good. I think its my brand new dyna ign that has gone bad. My book isnt helpin either. After this post Im gearin up to trailer it to the shop this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                    X