Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supertrapp ext. disc pipe..anyone got one, how many discs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supertrapp ext. disc pipe..anyone got one, how many discs?

I've got a Supertrapp external disk 4 into 1 pipe on a 83' GS1100E with a Dynojet stage 3 kit and K&N pods. Anyone else running this pipe and how many of the discs are you using. I've got 12 in mine and find it to be running a little lean so was thinking I might take a few out.

I have the same pipe, and similar jetting and filter configuration on my 1150. The SuperTrapp tuning guide say a 4 to 8 disc setup can work for a stock airbox and jetting on the street. After messing with with the disc setting for a couple of weeks I finally ended up putting it on a DynoJet and having the shop fine tune it. But, the difference is I have all 20 discs in mine. :twisted: If your at 12 right now, just remove a couple and ride it for a bit and see if it makes a difference. The basic principle is the less discs, the richer it runs, the more the leaner.

Oh, I should also mention I live in Denver, CO. So, everything I have setup is for high altitude. Lots of riding in the mountains.

Good luck, shouldn't take too long to dial it in.

Comment

I've also got a Supertrapp on mine.. just put the rest of my disks on. I've only had the bike a short while, and I don't know much about it yet. I noticed that it does run leaner with more discs, and a little more power in the top end.

It should be jetted? How can I tell if there's been any mods done to the carbs/filter?

Comment

Originally posted by FreshMeat
        It should be jetted? How can I tell if there's been any mods done to the carbs/filter?
        You can get some idea as to whether a jet kit has been installed if the plugs that cover the idle mixture screws have been removed. Check the top, cylinder side of the carbs to see if they've been removed. Another way is to pull the top of one of the carbs off and pull the diaphram and slide combo out. If it has adjustable slide needles it has a jet kit installed. Be careful with the diaphram, you don't want to tear it.

Comment

GS1100E / Bandit comparison

Question for CDNBandit. How would you compare the old GS'ers to the newer Bandit. I love to hate my old EZ and would like to get a newer ride. Is the Bandit a totally different ride, or just a refined GS'er ? I cant really own two bikes but hate to part ways with my old EZ. Ive had it since new.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
            Originally posted by FreshMeat
            You can get some idea as to whether a jet kit has been installed if the plugs that cover the idle mixture screws have been removed. Check the top, cylinder side of the carbs to see if they've been removed. Another way is to pull the top of one of the carbs off and pull the diaphram and slide combo out. If it has adjustable slide needles it has a jet kit installed. Be careful with the diaphram, you don't want to tear it.
            My engine and carbs are actually from a 82' Katana 1100 and the slide needles are adjustable. I thought the GS1100E had adjustable needles as well so I'm not sure this is an accurate way to find out if you have a jet kit. Most aftermarket needles are much more narrow than the stock needles but your best bet is to pull the carbs and check the jet sizes.

Comment

Re: GS1100E / Bandit comparison

Originally posted by Dave Biggerstaff
              Question for CDNBandit. How would you compare the old GS'ers to the newer Bandit. I love to hate my old EZ and would like to get a newer ride. Is the Bandit a totally different ride, or just a refined GS'er ? I cant really own two bikes but hate to part ways with my old EZ. Ive had it since new.
              In many ways you could say the Bandit is a refined GS1100E. I had my GS out the other day and it has fantastic acceleration and pulls almost as hard as the Bandit but the Bandit just feels much more refined and stable. The suspension on the Bandit is much better and it just feels more planted in both the straightaways and the turns. I enjoy both bikes very much but the Bandit is definitely my favourite. It's hard to explain but they're very similar yet very different. I guess if you had to compare a modern bike to the GS, it would be the Bandit.

Comment

OK Billy, got the parts off that you said. But, I'm an idiot when it comes to mechanics, so here's what I did. I took the top off the right-hand carb, and pulled out the black thing (pretty sure that's the diaphagm) and the spring and such.
                Pictures attached I think. One is looking down into the carb, the other is the diaphragm/needle thing. How do I tell if it's adjustable? It sure doesn't look it to me... looks like there hasn't been any changes made but I can't tell. If that's the case, what would an aftermarket piece look like in comparison?

Thanks.

Comment

You have to pull the needle out to find out it's adjustable. There should be a circlip inside the slide that holds the needle retainer in. Once you remove the circlip, the spring seat/needle retainer should come out and allow you to pull the needle out. If the needle has notches and an e-ring, then they are adjustalble by removing the e-ring and sliding it into another notch.

Comment

Working...
                  X