GS850 'sticky' brakes: solutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 'sticky' brakes: solutions

Well, my 'project' 850 runs just fine after carb cleanup...

Problem is, the brakes are 'sticky' (as in it takes a few minutes for them to release completely after the lever is let go...

Any suggestions... Should I spray the calipers with PB-blaster or similar, or do I have to do something more intensive?

I would hope this doesn't require me to take apart the brakes, my 450's front disc worked just fine after it sat for 4 years, this bike appears to be in better condition than the last one...

Anything in perticular that should be oiled or checked?

Sometimes the inside of a brake hose can deteriorate and act sort of like a check valve by restricting the return flow of the brake fluid. The cure is to replace the brake hose. This happened to a GMC Suburban I once owned. The hose looked fine on the outside but a new hose did the trick. I suppose the same could happen on a motorcycle. The brakes work essentially the same way. A lot of folks who contribute to these forums recommend upgraded brake hoses and the Clymer manual says to replace them every two years. For mine, however, two years has become twenty-two years. Maybe next year...

Comment

If the pads have been beveled from uneven wear they will jam in place after applying the brakes. Take them out and see if they are worn more at the front than the back. If the pistons are all dirty pop them out and clean them off with fine steel wool.

Steve

Comment

I assume that anything involving the piston requires draining & re-filling the brake system.

Personally, I think theres something rusted and/or un-lubed in the calipers that's making them stick...

But I've never had to tinker with brakes before...

Comment

How much can be done to correct something like this WITHOUT BLEEDING OUT THE BRAKES (eg while keeping the fluid in place)???

Comment

You can remove the caliper and fix the sliders no problem. You can also dig around inside of the reservoir trying to clean out the release hole too.

Steve

Comment

NO OIL ON YOUR CALIPERS!!!!!!

Do Not Under ANY Circumstance Put Oil On Your Calipers!!!!!
              There, now that I've said that, please never put oil on your calipers. It will invariably end up on the pads. Then you have no brakes, not a wise move.
              Brake fluid is hydroscopic, it will suck water out of the air. My money is on the pistons in the calipers having some rust/corrosion on them. Pull them off and use either the MC or air to blow the piston out. If you use air, be careful and put a piece of wood where the pads go to slow the piston without damage. The orings to rebuild calipers are inexpensive and the piece of mind is nice too. Bob

Comment

Working...
              X