Sprocket noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sprocket noise

I have a noise coming from the front sprocket area. It is rythmic, increases with speed & decreases. It is related to the bikes speed, not the engine, when I clutch and let the engine idle but the bike continues at 35 mph or whatever, the noise continues. I think it has to do with the front sprocket but I'm not sure. Either way, are the sprockets and chain something that a complete novice can handle with the right service book, or should I take it to a local shop? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,

John

Sprocket noise

I forgot, the bike I am refering to is a 1983 GS750ed, bear with me, I'll get the hang of this.
    Thanks

Comment

Chain ans sprockets are prett yeasy with normal hand tools.
      Just be careful when taking the rear wheel off, what bearing/spacer/bearing spacer goes in what order.

Remember to double check all nuts/bolts and tourque to spec.
      Shouldn't take more than an hour or so.

If you're getting noises, I would strongly suggest doing sprockets with the chain. If the sprockets are going bad and you do just the chain, the chain will be junk in a short time. Do them both at the same time, yea it's money, but spent wisely.
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

The noise is more likly to be the chain, both should be changed

Comment

Working...
        X