1982 GS650L gas tank interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS650L gas tank interchange

You guys seem to know your stuff pretty well.

I have a 1982 GS650L with an extremely (all flakey and stuff) rusty gas tank.

Are there any other Suzuki bikes (or any bike, or any place for aftermarket) that would fit? From time to time on Ebay I see brand new tanks that have been brought out of storage. In fact, right now there is a GS1100ES gas tank that looks to have the proper holes. Would this tank fit? Would any other tanks fit that I should be on the look-out for.

Also, would a 130/90-16 tire advertised as a FRONT tire be OK to use on the REAR for the GS650?

Thanks,
    Tony in Tennessee 8-[

Tony, only the GS650L and maybe the 550L tanks will fit correctly. I know where there is a new red 650L tank, if you are interested. The 130/90-16 tire sounds like it was meant for a rear wheel.

Comment

Thanks Don,

Yes I would be interested in the tank. If you would, please send the info as a private message so I can hoard the information and use it for malicous purposes against other GS competitors. MWAA-HA-HA :twisted:

Just kidding.

I may not have enough money right now to buy it so if it is available for a week or three then I could get it then. But if it is cheap enough I could get it now.

Just to test that vast database of knowledge of yours, can I slap just any old bike carburator on a Honda Trail 70 to get it going?

Thanks again,
      Tony in Tennessee

Comment

DO NOT PUT A TIRE MEANT FOR THE FRONT ON THE REAR they are designed to do different jobs on your bike

Comment

Thanks. Not to disbelieve you or anything, but the 1983 GS1100ES (and maybe 1988 GSX600F) pics look reeeeally close to fitting. I have been unable to find dimentions on any of the tanks to make sure, but really a ziplock baggy would be better than the old tank because of the tremendous amount of rust inside. I have also thought of putting sand inside the old tank and shaking it as a sort of whimpy sand blast, but don't really want to continually have to work on the thing. Any info you have would be good.
          Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X