lighting circut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lighting circut

I have a 81 GS750L. when i get the bike at normal temp., it seems sluggish off the line. turn the headlight off (old owner enabled the on/off switch) runs great. also the rpm's increase with the light off, drop when on. i posted a similar message a few months ago and followed the great replies. i checked the lighting connections in the fairing for proper connections. i grounded the r/r to the battery. charging sytem checks ok. the lighting circut draws about 8 amps. is this too high? not sure where how to fix this. is it ok to ride with the light off (during the day, i know not a good idea for safty reasons) till i fix the problem? should i re-wire the main lighting circut?
    thanks for and help.

I'd check the charging system. If you have a partial failure in the stator you could get an awefully thready spark, that corrects itself when the lisghts are off. 8 amps isn't too high.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. i did check the charging circut and the voltage output looked ok. i put a new regulator in last year when the old one went. connections look good. the stator checked out ok the last time i looked at it (resistance check). i was wondering if the stator insulation is breaking down under voltage. not sure on how to check it for that problem. that might couse a voltage leak.
      Thanks Again.

Comment

Could the prev owner have hooked the head light to the same 12 supply as the ignition?? reducing ign voltage/output

Comment

when i had the fairing off, i looked at all the wires and they seem to match up to the colors in the book. the other wiring is stock. i thought of maybe jumpering the supply voltage past the on/off stuff and run the power lead right to the battery and see what happens. it also looks like after a longer ride it gets worse. thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
          X