No announcement yet.

Torque wrench question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a torque wrench for everything that has a spec. I guess someone thought it was important.

I can get 3/8 drive, low range, "set and click" torque wrenches for about $40 Cdn. at Princess Auto.
    If anyone's interested, let me know.
    They are back ordered at the moment but they expect more in 2 weeks.

Mine has worked great so far.

Comment

Where can you get a torque wrench calibrated? I have a pair of craftsman twist-dial types (one to 150ft/lbs, the other to 250in/lbs) but I have never calibrated them.

Comment

You could ask around at an aircraft hangar if you live near a small one. I'm not sure what you'd look for under the yellow pages.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by morthrane
          Where can you get a torque wrench calibrated? I have a pair of craftsman twist-dial types (one to 150ft/lbs, the other to 250in/lbs) but I have never calibrated them.
          Cornerstone Metrology Service
          7625 Hayvenhurst Ave., Unit 33
          Van Nuys, CA 91406
          818-902-9551

or

Here...

Comment

Originally posted by morthrane
            I had Sears calibrate a Craftsman Digitork once after it had been dropped. It took 6 months to get it back.

Hap

Comment

Hey guys, how do I convert foot lbs to inch lbs? Are there 12 inch lbs in a foot lb of tourque?
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Jethro,

Yes, 12 inch pounds=1 Foot-pound.

You can calibrate your own torque wrench using a known weight, a vice, and mathematics. Clamp the square drive of the torque wrench in the vise. Hang a known weight, such as barbell weights, from the handle. It is best to use a weight in the middle of the wrench's torque range. The easiest way to calculate is to move the weight 12 inches (one foot for the conversionally challenged) from the center of the square drive. For instance, 30 pounds of weight one foot from the center of the square drive equals 30 foot-pounds. If you have a clicker type torque wrench there should be an adjustment screw somewhere on it. If you have a beam type, make a note of the amount of error and compensate when you use the wrench.

I found a bicycle torque wrench that is calibrated for 0-60 inch-pounds. http://www.parktool.com/tools/TW_1.shtml
                I got one from a friend who owns a bicycle shop for $25.

Joe
                IBA# 24077
                '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

weinch

Go to harbor freight and get a click- dail a torque wrench in inch pounds then at sears buy there foot pound you need both, the one at harbor frieght is good enough for this kind of work, I have both sears and snap-on and when I tested one against the other they were with'in 2ft.lbs of each other at 60 lbs.

Comment

I have both an inch/lbs and foot/lbs clicker type from Sears. Just wondering if I can convert the values between 10 foot/lbs and 25 inch/lbs. I guess now I can.

Now if I can figure out how to read my micrometer and voltmeter I'll be all set.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                    X