Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok

Originally posted by Don Lobacz
    $220 sounds like a good price from a quality place. Your shift fork is the most likely culprit, are you sure you're looking at the right one? The shift drum will often become damaged if the bike is ridden a lot while jumping out of gear. The damage is just a little dot of wear at one of the worm-bends, but it is enough to cause the same problem to re-occur even with new gears and forks.
    Don, looks like you hit this one on the head.

On closer investigation the shift drum does have quite a bit of wear where the shift fork should be held in place for 2nd gear.
    I haven't measured, but the shift fork itself doesn't look worn excessively (I can see where the transmission would rub against it, that doesn't look natural {ie it isn't an even wear}), and like I said before, the dogs don't look like what I would think they would (however I have not been able to check where they engage as I have not taken the transmission itself apart.

So, what are the chances that the shift drum is the whole culprit? I really would like to get it all taken care of so I'm not looking at another re-build any time soon. I can't really afford the back cutting the gears since I have to purchase the shift drum. I also can't afford all new shift forks at this point either.

However, that being said, if consensus is that I should go all new with the drum and forks. I will just have to try to come up with the other moneys.

Either way though, I'm not going to be able to have the gears back cut as well.

So, is it possable that the gears are all good, and it was just abuse that caused the drum to wear excessively while everything else is fine?

Ahhh.. soo much I wish I could do if I had the money..

Amos

Comment

Red,

Each time your bike jumps out of gear, it wears those dogs and will only get worse, even with your other issues resloved. Save the money, send out the trans and have it all done. Shop for pricing, dont matter where you go for the work. Ship the stuff. As said, MRE, R&D, Star, Orient Express, APE, FBG are all good. There are probably that many more shops that could do your work. If your gears are worn, you will have to buy new ones before you undercut.

Good Luck!
      EULC ON

Comment

Originally posted by gsbill
        Red,

Each time your bike jumps out of gear, it wears those dogs and will only get worse, even with your other issues resloved. Save the money, send out the trans and have it all done. Shop for pricing, dont matter where you go for the work. Ship the stuff. As said, MRE, R&D, Star, Orient Express, APE, FBG are all good. There are probably that many more shops that could do your work. If your gears are worn, you will have to buy new ones before you undercut.

Good Luck!
        Ok, I just went and saw what I could, and I've got to agree with you.

I'm approaching as much to fix the bike as I paid for it (probably a bit more)

I'm going to go price the gears and stuff at bike bandit, see what I"ll be looking at here.

(after thinking about it, I'm thinking I should just go the whole 9 yards while I"ve got it apart, that or part out Old Red and see if I can find another (maybe larger) GS for about what it's going to cost me to fix her up.

(got my eyes on a possable new baby..)

Amos

Comment

Prices...

Ok, here goes..

(bike-bandit prices mind you, which I haven't been able to find the parts on ronayers grrr)

shift forks 3 @ 40 $120
          Shift fork shaft 1@ $11
          Shift drum 1@ $91
          Bearing for shift drum $12

total:$234
          (let alone all new transmission gears at about $70 each)

Transmission undercut (only quote so far) $220

grand total: $454

Price for Old Red 2 years ago: $450 +tax=$477

Plus all the other incedentals, and gaskets..

Opinions??

Amos

Comment

none..

Oh, well.

No replies on this.

And after thinking about it, It is not very cost effective for me to dump this much money into the 550 and still not be completely 100% sure it will all be good. (chances are it would, but it would be very costly)

As such I've decided to part out Old Red (drat, just named her too.. :? ) in order to get money for a new ride, one that won't require as much money to get riding in the next month..

So, I'm possably going to offer GSers first dibs on her pieces. Make me a resonable offer and we'll see what we can do. (I'll also be posting in the parts for sale section as well)

After that it's off to e-bay. (first time I'll have sold anything on e-bay too..)

Comment

Personally, I would get a new shift drum, bend the offending shift fork gently back to vertical and put it back together. The 550 is not that powerful, so it would probably be OK if you avoid powershifts into 2nd. Sell it that way and alert the buyer not to beat on 2nd.

Comment

would..

Originally posted by Don Lobacz
                Personally, I would get a new shift drum, bend the offending shift fork gently back to vertical and put it back together. The 550 is not that powerful, so it would probably be OK if you avoid powershifts into 2nd. Sell it that way and alert the buyer not to beat on 2nd.
                If it would only be that simple. However as I was investigating last night I was able to look at the engagement slots where the dogs engage and they are extreemly worn, and are what probably caused the damage to the shift drum, so I can't see spending the money for one and not get the other taken care of, which still puts me in the price range of replacing the bike.

Amos

Comment

Here's something that I'd even forgotten about: I have a GS550 motor sitting in my shed.

Comment

Man, I missed this whole thread. Sorry Red. I have been so busy at work haven't been on here a lot lately.

I looked at the wear with Amos last night and it is just enough in several places that my advice would be to scrap the project as well. He can find another bike in known good condidtion for about what this will cost him and his bike can be parted out to more than cover the cost.

The goal is to ride buddy!

Comment

Working...
                    X