re: clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re: clutch

I know this is really a newbie question but what cover is the clutch basket under. Have never worked on old mc s before and cannot seem to get a manual for mine without paying a fortune. (85 GS700E). Thanks for any info!

right transmission cover. The one with the oil sight glass in it. Make sure you have a gasket before you take the cover off.

Comment

It's under the cover where the oil sight glass is on the right of the bike. I have a manual if you ever need info. Watch Ebay, you can probably pick up a manual on CD.

Comment

Hey thanks I am not bad with a wrench on a car but this MC thing is a different animal. Are clutches that hard to replace??

Comment

No, drain the oil take the cover off, take out the 6 bolts and springs holding the clutch plates in, take out the plates keeping track of the order of steel vs fibers. Soak the new fibers in oil, and reverse the process. You should get a torque wrench and the torque values for the 6 bolts when you put them back in. If you need to replace the gasket for the cover carefully clean all the old gasket off first. Any amount of old gasket left on will make a leak. Put the new gasket on and tighten the cover to specs.

Comment

Have all the tools so i am ready to go just didn't want to dive into the wrong side of the motor Sounds normal enough i have all the parts gaskets.disks and springs. I believe i read that the torque rating was 15lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
              No, drain the oil take the cover off, take out the 6 bolts and springs holding the clutch plates in, take out the plates keeping track of the order of steel vs fibers. Soak the new fibers in oil, and reverse the process. You should get a torque wrench and the torque values for the 6 bolts when you put them back in. If you need to replace the gasket for the cover carefully clean all the old gasket off first. Any amount of old gasket left on will make a leak. Put the new gasket on and tighten the cover to specs.
              If you know cars then this will be a walk in the park.. 15lbs sounds a lot for the clutch springs.. go with 3 -5lbs (the springs will stop the screws self extracting)

As for the gasket. Duh! I did mine in a rush and didn't replace the gasket, (I had no choice) but used some silicon sealer I use on the race car (doesnt have a name, but costs about 3times the usual red stuff) and no leaks.. Just be sure to use an impact driver to remove the little phillips screws that hold on the engine cover. Makes sense to change these out to allen headed while you are at it!

CJ

Comment

Originally posted by crayonjota
                Originally posted by lhanscom
                If you know cars then this will be a walk in the park.. 15lbs sounds a lot for the clutch springs.. go with 3 -5lbs (the springs will stop the screws self extracting)

As for the gasket. Duh! I did mine in a rush and didn't replace the gasket, (I had no choice) but used some silicon sealer I use on the race car (doesnt have a name, but costs about 3times the usual red stuff) and no leaks.. Just be sure to use an impact driver to remove the little phillips screws that hold on the engine cover. Makes sense to change these out to allen headed while you are at it!

CJ
                15 in lbs sorry for the mistake

Comment

just to let everyone know the clutch is in and it was a breeze! thanks for all the help! The bike deifinitely performs better now! 8)

Comment

what are some of the signs of a clutch going out? just wondering because no matter how i look at it, my clutch has got to be old. My bike is a 1980 gs1100e with about 41000. So what do i look for?

Comment

It will slip under high load situations. Your rpms will rise, but you won't accelerate, or at least not as hard as it should. You'll feel it happen.

Comment

An ol racers trick...You can lean your bike over to the left and not have to drain your oil...Handy if you mess with ya clutch a lot!
                        EULC ON

Comment

Working...
                        X