Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smokin' wires coming from generator - help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smokin' wires coming from generator - help!

Started up my 1982 GS1100GK to take a short ride and see if my brake job worked. However, just before takeoff, I noticed that 3 wires under the seat were smoking, and quite hot. Got out my trusty little shop manual, and looked up the wiring guide, and found that the 3 wires in question ran to the generator.

My guess - bad generator?? I have a spare from an 82 GS1100GL parts bike here that I think I'm going to try and see if it cures it (I assume they're compatible?). Any other guesses as to what the problem might be?

Also, when I put things back together, I'm not quite sure how to do it, since all 3 wires from the generator are covered with a yellow braided material, making it impossible to guess which wire should attach to which connection. The yellow wires connect to a yellow wire, a white wire with a blue stripe, and a white wire with a green stripe. (Actually, the wires were at one time cut and spliced with generic colored wires, so the yellow wires go there first, then are spliced onto the factory wires.)

Oh, and one more wiring question. I found a rogue pink wire that appears to be connected to nothing. It hangs down from under the tank area, and then goes into the large bundle of wires up the top tube. I looked at the wiring diagram, and it shows the pink wires with nothing attached to it on either end. Any idea what this is for?

Re: Smokin' wires coming from generator - help!

The three yellow wires coming from your alternator/stator are all the same electrically. It doesnt matter which one is which. Wiring harnesses are made to fit more than one model of bike, so most bikes end up having some leads/wires that are not used. Forget about the lead that connects to nothing.

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I don't know about the pink wire, but I don't have one in my harness, which is presently almost completely unwrapped and sitting on the drieway.

My guess is that you are right, and it may have some accessory function, but is just hanging around.

Your present stator appears to be dead, and you should not drive with it as it will definitely cause damage elsewhere. Usually it will take the Regulator/rectifier out with it, but you may be lucky.

Your other one should be a direct installation, and I would recommend you try it, since it will cost you only the effort to exchange them.

I don't know for certain, but I read somewhere that the GK may have a higher output than the other models. I'm sure someone else will be able to confirm this.

When you pull the stator cover be sure it is completely clean and your hands are freshly washed and dried. Gives you a better grip, and the cover can stick pretty hard, because of the magnetc pull.

Unless it is brittle and breaks away, you should be able to re-use the gasket.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Is the stator the same thing as a generator?

Comment

Yes. Performs same function, but produces it in AC instead of DC, which a generator does.

Important note.

Before you remove the bolts from the stator cover, be sure you have a small box at hand. Punch a straight line of holes in it with a screwdriver,

Before you remove the stator bolts, put a piece of tape on the cover where you will remove the first bolt. Remove it first, then do all the others in a continuous arc, and as you do so, put each bolt them into sequential holes in the box.

The bolts are different lengths, and this keeps them all in order. When putting it together, do the reverse.

Also

Once the stator is off, and removed from the cover.

Clean the bolt holes with solvent and dry the threads, then use blue Loctite when re-assembling them. You want to be sure the bolts don't back out.

Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Check the regulator also. reg could have been what burnt the stator. If the reg shorted out it could have overheated the wires and stator. The voltage has to go somewhere usually in the form of heat

Comment

If the connections are loose at all on the stator wires they can become extremely hot even melting the insulation. You may luck out and only need to clean, tighten or solder the connections. Hopefully nothing else has fried.

Comment

Working...
              X