Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tyres

Hi folks.
    I know we've been here in the past, but what is the CURRENT thinking on tyre choice for an 850? It's time to replace the ageing Avons on mine - and the choices are seemingly endless (he exaggerated as usual....)
    Dave

Go with dunlop, preferably GT501 or similar. I had Avon Speedmaster? on my GS450 before I changed to Dunlop -> could not belive the difference in handling and "feel".

Comment

Unfortunately the tyre choices are not endless these days.

For more sporting use the Metzler ME33/ME55 combination is good, the equivalent dunlops 501 are also good. For the more Touring tyres others will have to give an opinion. I found the spitfire rear at least to not give more mileage than a sportier tyre, and it did not grip that well in wet or cold conditions (around zero C).

Comment

GT501

The Dunlop GT501's are my all time favorite!
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Anyone have suggestions for a cheap online shop to get me some new Dunlops? I went to www.dtmaonline.com, but the site seems to be under construction. It may just be getting an update- I'll try back later.

Dennis Kirk seems way overpriced!
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Try MAWONLIE

I bought a set of GT501's from them last year, good prices.
            My V&H exhaust...different story.

What size?
            Send me an email, I have a set of Avon tires I may part with.
            The rear is a 150, I don't think it will fit inside my swingarm
            Keith
            -------------------------------------------
            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Hi
              Thanks for the offer - but shipping to the UK would be a mite expensive. A friend looked at my tyres the other day and reckons they're virtually unworn. Still don't like tyhe way they feel though - feels like you're falling off the edge of the damn things at low speed. Maybe thats how Roadrunners feel though! (I suppose I could just go faster!) Might try a set of Metz - and you're right - the more you look the smaller the choice actually is unless you want 17s!
              Thanks all
              Dave

Comment

I'm very happy with my Avon Super Venoms. Haven't tried Dunlops on my Suzuki, but they worked well on my old Honda.

Comment

Working...
                X