Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbee with with clutch/ trans problem

Hey guys,
    I am new and would greatly appreciate any imput. I just recently bought a 1980 GS1100LT. The bike will not coast at an idle without bucking profusley. I have it on the mainstand and it almost knocks it self off. It does it in every gear. It is not the engine once I disengage the clutch it runs fine, just when I put it in gear and release the clutch does it have a problem. Also, when I was recently riding it around town as I slowed down to come to a stop there seemed to be a gringing noise coming from somewhere. Trans shifts fine just wondering if anyone had any ideas.This thing is a rocket ship on two wheels and if there is something wrong I want to fix it before it is really broken.
    Thanks,
    Brian

Not sure exactly what is causing the problem, but I'd take the clutch side cover off and see whats going on. Maybe a loose nut that holds the basket on, maybe bad clutch plates? Just take a look and see if you can find something that looks or feels wrong.

Comment

Thanks Luke I am going to do that.
      Brian

Comment

How many miles on this bike? Sounds to me like it may just be gear lash. It's like a rubber band effect. When the motor pushes the drivetrain, it pushes the wheel just a tad faster than the motor wants to go after taking up the slop in the driveline. Then the wheel tries to push the motor, taking up the slop in the other direction. This sets up an oscillation that just keeps going. Ever see a chain bouncing up and down on a bike? That's what you are feeling, only it's the gears doing it. My 850 will do this if I let it, so I don't. Pick a gear that will let you keep some pressure one way or the other on the driveline ie.motor pushing wheel or wheel pushing motor. Bob

Comment

Under NO load it will do that As to the grinding noise I would take a close look at the chain first.

Comment

Umm.. that's what I meant to say. This is a shaft drive right? Check the differential oil? Any metal in it? Bob

Comment

The bike has approx. 11500 miles on it, and it is chain driven. Is should have included that info but I am a first timer please be gentle.
              Thanks,
              Brian

Comment

Just took off cover can anyone tell me if the shaft that extends through the pressure plate is supposed to have a lot of slop in it or is it supposed to be tight.
                Thanks,
                Brian

Comment

That is the clutch push rod IT will have some play---------
                  BEFORE you get too involved check the chain!!!!!!

Comment

The chain was the first thing I looked at. I had the plates and disks inspected said they were fine. Went back and took a real close look at the chain and found a couple of links that were not meshing with the drive gear properly. My guess is that I found the problem. this forum is great thanks for all your help.
                    Thanks,
                    Brian

Comment

Hmmmm....my 1980 GS1000GT is shaft, I thought only the E models were chain. Learn something everyday Glad you found your problem.

Comment

No matter what model it is IT will have a "G" in the model designation to denote a shaft drive

Comment

Working...
                        X