Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it okay to go halfway?

Hello again,

I took my bike to the shop and had the charging system checked. Apparently the new\used r\r I bought 2 weeks ago is dead as well. I had a clue as to it's demise when i noticed that my voltmeter was charging up in the 15-16 range when at 5k rpm. (Sopmething the bike didn't do when I first got the r/r).

So....My question is this. I recently bought an electrex stator and R/R. Can I put the R/R on the bike until I get time to swap out the Stator?
    Will the bike be okay with the stock stator and the electrex R/R?

I had planned to replace the entire charging system with the electrex components together but I would like to have the bike charging right before this weekend so I don't mess up my brand new battery.

The shop didn't say anything was wrong with the stator so the system should be fine with the electrex R/R until I find time to swap out the stator right? on my vulcan750 I had the stator and r/r done at the same time so I never had to find out what could happen by changing one and not the other.

Thanks in advance,
    Dm of mD

As long as the stator tested okay there's no reason just replacing the R/R should be a problem.

Comment

Awesome. I was just afraid of it not being compatible with the stock stator or something. Ah phooey....my paranoia is getting the best of me today.
      I asked for a raise and more duties this week and am nervous on the outcome.

Dm of mD

Comment

Damien,
        I've been running the stock stator and the Electrex R/R for several months, and it has been fine - no problems at all. I changed the R/R when I put the new left hand handlebar controls on it. The R/R didn't break down or anything, but I did it as a preventive measure. I'll give you my used but good R/R if you like.

Harrison

Comment

Well, I should be okay bud. I'm going to put the New Electrex R/R on the bike at lunch today and monitor my voltage.

Thanks,
          Dm of mD

Comment

there is no need to change the stator when installing an Electrex R/R. I have never had a problem with that. The Electrex RT/R should rgulate the voltage to a max of 14.8 regardless of engine rpm. Design point optimum is 14.7 max charging voltage. If your R/R allows a charge rate that is greater than 14.9 at any rpm, it is faulty and you should email electrx and they will give you a claim number so you can return it. They will check it to verify it is faulty and then send you a replacement.

Earl
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

WE HAVE THE VICTORY!!!! HALLELUJAH!!!

INSTALLATION Verdict

Went home at lunch and whipped out the new R/R.
              Had to clip the bullet connectors on the bike's harness and crimp on female blade connectors onto the wires but the R/R hooked up fairly easily. The negative wire from the R/R I ran straight to the battery.
              Teh power lead I ran back into the harness connector which also got the snip/crimp treatment.

Running/riding
              The bike performs much better.

Before: Wouldn't idle good at stoplights and would die.
              After: Bike keeps it's idle whether I'm in neutral or in-gear.

Before: Bike would show a charge level of 15+ volts at 5k rpm
              After: Bike voltage shows a steady 14.0 at all rpms (up to 7k tested)

Before: Tach and speedo would jump around like they had parkinsons.
              After: No more gauge jitters!!

I'll see this weekend how it performs with the headlight turned on while riding and whether it still charges the same. I may also relocate the R/R to somewhere it has more airflow than under that side cover.

Dm of mD

Comment

Re: WE HAVE THE VICTORY!!!! HALLELUJAH!!!

I prefer to run the negative and positive DC output leads on the R/R directly to battery negative and positive terminals. My viewpoint is that if the positive DC charging wire on the R/R is connected to the harness, then if there are any connectors between the R/R and the battery, then some charging voltage will be lost to resistance. Direct to battery stops this potential problem.

Earl

[quote="Detman101"]INSTALLATION Verdict

The negative wire from the R/R I ran straight to the battery.
                Teh power lead I ran back into the harness connector which also got the snip/crimp treatment.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Awesome Earl. I'll rewire it straight to the positive terminal today at lunch.
                  I'm getting pretty good at these pitstop 30-minute repairs hehe.

Dm of mD

Comment

:-)

E.

Originally posted by Detman101
                    Awesome Earl. I'll rewire it straight to the positive terminal today at lunch.
                    I'm getting pretty good at these pitstop 30-minute repairs hehe.

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                    X