final gear ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

final gear ratio

Hi everyone, am new to the site,maybe couple weeks. 2 years ago I found an ageing GS850G with the matching hardbags and fairing. spent the first summer rebuilding/cleaning carbs, seals, brakes, etc.etc. Wondering if there is a ring/pinion change I can make so I get a higher aspect ratio. Have had a single cam Honda 750 for 20 years, and when I drive the Suzuki, I always want to shift one more time. I really like the 850, spent $1000.00 and a lot of time getting it in shape. I quit riding Honda last spring, just thinking about gear noise and fuel economy. Any input appreciated

NOT SURE IF THEY OFFER DIFFERNT RATIO GEARS, BUT MAYBE YOU COULD TRY A DIFFERNT HEIGHT TIRE?

Comment

I think the GS1000 has a "taller" ratio and should bolt in as an assembly with slight shim adj's on the shaft housing.I have been considering that with my GS850 too.

Comment

my gs 1000 is at 4200RPM in 5th gear at 60 mph. I think it is too low. I want to put a taller gear on it. DennisKirk has spockets and plus sprockets

Comment

Originally posted by djturnz
          my gs 1000 is at 4200RPM in 5th gear at 60 mph. I think it is too low. I want to put a taller gear on it. DennisKirk has spockets and plus sprockets
          THOSE SHAFTED GUYS CANNOT CHANGE RATIOS SO EASILY :roll:

Comment

Gear Ratio

Thanks for input so far. Hope to hear from others. Just a reminder that the GS850 G is a Shaft Drive bike. Safe riding to all.

Comment

Working...
            X