blowing head lamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blowing head lamp

Hello everyone, what causes a head lamp to blow, this is how it hapens, put a new bulb turn the switch on works start the motor the light comes on few seconds later it blows the headlight. Any ideas where to start looking for the problem?

Ard.

I think your regulator/rectifier has quit. Check your bikes voltage when running...it should be below 15 Volts I think you're up around 18 - 20

Steve

Comment

What size fuse is in there?
      What wattage lamp?
      I run a 10amp fuse and 90/100watt headlight.

Once in awhile the fuse will blow, never the headlight.

Checked the plug for the lamp? Might be grounding out in there.

Like Steve said, check the voltage
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

The max acceptable system (battery) voltage is 14.9
        Anything between 14.5 and 14.8 is preferable.

Earl

Originally posted by srivett
        I think your regulator/rectifier has quit. Check your bikes voltage when running...it should be below 15 Volts I think you're up around 18 - 20

Steve
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Re: blowing head lamp

I think Steve is right. Sounds like your R/R is outputting too high a voltage
          Engine running, regardless of engine rpm, the voltage at the battery terminals should not exceed 14.9 and should be less.

Earl

Originally posted by ard
          Hello everyone, what causes a head lamp to blow, this is how it hapens, put a new bulb turn the switch on works start the motor the light comes on few seconds later it blows the headlight. Any ideas where to start looking for the problem?

Ard.
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I kept blowing headlights too.
            Then I replaced the headlight recepticle (ya know, where the wires plug into the headlight) and haven't had a problem since. The recepticle was all cooroded and had actually melted in one spot.

Comment

If it's a Halogen bulb, you can't touch the glass before installing, I made that mistake once a the bulb blew out in a day.

Comment

Working...
              X