Headlight upgrade for an '81 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight upgrade for an '81 GS750

G'Day all. I am rebuilding my GS into a "streetfighter" type look and would love to set up a dual head-light sytems similar to triumphs Speed Triple....does anyone know if the electrical system will have enough juice for this?...or am I dreaming?
    Thanks in advance

maxed out

Not sure on this so I'm open to correction but I think the electrical is almost maxed out.....Mike

Comment

I doubt it would work reliably. You're talkiung about adding a 60W bulb, which is five amps, continuously, to a motorcycle. I don't think there's that much room.

Michael

Comment

Re: Headlight upgrade for an '81 GS750

The electrical system will handle an electrical draw for the headlight of about 60 watts without a problem. You could install two smaller 30 watt headlamps if you particularly want the dual headlight look. However, keep in mind that two smaller 30 watt headlamps while having the same 60 watt total power consumption will not put out as much light as one larger 60 watt headlight.
        You cannot run any headlight/ running light combo that draws over 90 watts, and only that if your electrical connectors and wiring harness in in excellent condition with minimal resistance. For the average electrical system condition, 60 watts is about it.

Earl

Originally posted by Moggy1962
        G'Day all. I am rebuilding my GS into a "streetfighter" type look and would love to set up a dual head-light sytems similar to triumphs Speed Triple....does anyone know if the electrical system will have enough juice for this?...or am I dreaming?
        Thanks in advance
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Some options you can try to increase the wattage capacity of your electrical system:

1. Clean all electrical connections to insure that you are not loosing any power to resistance in the connections.

2. Clean all your grounds and add additional grounds between the frame, the battery, the fuse box, and the engine.

3. Replace your regulator/rectifier and your stator with Electrex units, they are rated for about 20% more capacity.

4. Replace running lights, taillight, and brake light with LED lights to reduce current draw. A down side to this is that if you have a system that has a warning light that tells you when your bulbs are out, it may come on due to the reduced current draw of the LEDs. The fix to this is to remove the warning bulb.

5. Insure your regulator/rectifier is located in a location where it will get a good flow of fresh air across it.

6. Add an oil cooler to the engine to reduce oil temperature. The cooler the oil temperature, the cooler the stator, thus more current capability. But don't keep it so cool that it reduces your oil temperature below 170 F...that is not good for your engine.

These modifications should allow you to run higher headlight wattage without reducing reliability

Hap
          Resident Village Idiot

Comment

Working...
          X