Added new filter-Need to adjust air screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Added new filter-Need to adjust air screws

I replaced the ramshcakle thing that was in my airbox(looked llike brillo pad) with a stock foam filter, sprayed with goop. As I surmised I'm having just a hint of trouble holding an idle due to less air flow. It stalls every now and then.
    My air screw caps have been removed- is this what I want to tinker with to cure my stalling? I imagine I don't need to change anything by very much, since it is almost fine.

any guidance would help

Thanks,
    Chris

82 GS850G

Re: Added new filter-Need to adjust air screws

Chris

Sprayed with goop? I also use a stock foam air filter element. It should be lightly oiled and then patted semi dry with a paper towel or clean rag. On my bike, there is no reduction to intake airflow at all because of the filter.

Earl

Originally posted by Philly_Chris
    I replaced the ramshcakle thing that was in my airbox(looked llike brillo pad) with a stock foam filter, sprayed with goop. As I surmised I'm having just a hint of trouble holding an idle due to less air flow. It stalls every now and then.
    My air screw caps have been removed- is this what I want to tinker with to cure my stalling? I imagine I don't need to change anything by very much, since it is almost fine.

any guidance would help

Thanks,
    Chris

82 GS850G
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

The foam filter is sprayed with air filter treatment expressly made for these kinds of filters.

The reason I believe there to be a difference in air flow, is the thing that was in there was metal. Sort of like a Brillo or a bunch of layers of very small chicken wire layered on top of one another. I could see through it. Im positive more air(and who knows what else) would flow through it than the foam one

Comment

OK Chris, I thought you might have coated it with grease or something. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Philly_Chris
        The foam filter is sprayed with air filter treatment expressly made for these kinds of filters.

The reason I believe there to be a difference in air flow, is the thing that was in there was metal. Sort of like a Brillo or a bunch of layers of very small chicken wire layered on top of one another. I could see through it. Im positive more air(and who knows what else) would flow through it than the foam one
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

The Brillo Pad thing inside the airbox

Hi,
          I have a 1982 GS450.
          That thing inside the airbox that you describe (composed of a few layers of metal screening), is, I think, not an air filter but a backfire screen. You are supposed to also put a foam air filter in there in addition to the backfire screen (Suzuki makes a plastic holder for the filter).

I have a question about the backfire screen.

When I looked inside my airbox, the backfire screen looked like it had a bunch of white hair or something caught in it. I couldn't get it out because it seemed to be sandwiched between the two layers of screening. My question is, is that hair or fiber supposed to be there? You said you can see through that screen. I could not see through it because of the fibrous material/hair.
          Should I try to remove that stuff or just leave it alone? My bike runs fine except it runs rich, stalls once in a while at low RPMs, and sometimes the RPMS go up to 3k at idle, after I have been keeping the engine at 3-4k RPM for 15-20 minutes. (Like slowing down for a stop light after going 55 mph for 20 minutes).
          Any clues?
          Tom

Comment

Working...
          X