Cleaning a rusty tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning a rusty tank

When cleaning the tank with an acidic solution can you leave the petcock and cap on w/out damaging them. Is their another way?

Remove it

I'd suggest you take out the petcock, for sure. You can make a plug to go in the hole. Also, be sure to remove your gas sending unit if your bike has one. :?

I had my tank professionally coated for $80. It turned out really nice and the guy at the shop said he'd never had a complaint and would guarantee it for as long as I had the bike.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I've tried cleaning a tank myself and it is a pain. It is just as easy to pony up the extra bucks and have someone else do it.

Good luck!
      JV

Comment

You should take off the cap and the petcock and the sending unit. The acid can't be allowed to contact any rubber/plastic parts, such as the caps rubber gasket and plastic vent housing and the petcocks diaphragm and other rubber parts.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

So where do you go to have a tank professionally coated? A motorcycle shop or something else? I have one from another bike (not my GS) that needs to have what's left of the old lining removed and then get relined. Not a job I'm looking forward to doing myself!

Debby
          1979 GS1000N
          2019 Kaw Z900RS
          plus a few more

Comment

Go to Sudco and click on products. Go down the list and click on Rustol. If two or three of you wanted to do it you could cut the cost down. You don't need much and it's reusable.

Comment

Working...
            X