Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil leaking from one side of cyl head (GS850)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leaking from one side of cyl head (GS850)

Is this a head gasket issue? Is it just a result of too much oil?

Any way to stop the leak without pulling the head?

Re: Oil leaking from one side of cyl head (GS850)

Are you sure the leak isnt coming from the small rubber end cap on the end of the camshaft/valve cover? This is pretty common and can be stopped by wrapping the edge of the rubber with teflon tape. valve cover must be removed to do this, but that is pretty easy.

Earl

Originally posted by Dave_A
    Is this a head gasket issue? Is it just a result of too much oil?

Any way to stop the leak without pulling the head?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

It *APPEARS* to be coming from the area between the head & the cyls.

However, it could be coming from the valve cover gasket or one of the endcaps.

Maybe I should get some engine degreaser & clean off all the old gunk so I can see where it's coming from...

Comment

May as well check the cheap, simple and easy stuff first. You would be kicking yourself if it was as easy as washing the bike and putting wrap of tape around an endcap and you tore the engine down. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Dave_A
        It *APPEARS* to be coming from the area between the head & the cyls.

However, it could be coming from the valve cover gasket or one of the endcaps.

Maybe I should get some engine degreaser & clean off all the old gunk so I can see where it's coming from...
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Heh...

Well, at least with this one I *KNOW* there will be no stuck bolt issues...

Bolts ranged from a tad stiff to LOOSE, one of the exhaust bolts had actually rattled out of the head (it's missing) the other 7 bolts offered no resistance (some could be turned with fingers)... Similar story for the valvecover bolts, but they wern't finger-loose.

Everything's been tightened back in place, but at least I know I won't be fighting stuck bolt issues IF it does require a tear down...

Comment

Working...
          X