Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Argh I broke 2 exhaust bolts

Well I really did it last night.
    I had decided to take of my Yoshi pipe for a new coat of paint.
    The pipe was looking pretty rough from a bike being stored outside all winter.
    Well it was my friends bike and I rescued it from being to sold to anyone
    Since I want to give it lots of TLC I was ready for fixing up my pipe.
    Both bolts on #2 exhaust broke and I had soaked all of them with WD40 prior to removing the exhaust.
    Luckily there looks to be enough meat to grip on both bolts with a wise grip.
    Any suggestions for me before proceding on this???

I'm also gettting the seat reupholstered.
    The bike is burgundy red and looks pretty decent,I will be installing a gs550/e fairing as well.
    I have several tail pieces for it and are planning a paint job on it.
    Mike

Take it to a shop, have them extract the bolts with a welder. They can heat & cool the bolts untill the expansion/contraction from repeated heating & cooling breaks them free...

Visegrips won't budge stuck exhaust bolts...

That's what it took to get the bolts out of my GS-450...

Also, FFR WD-40 is a decent parts cleaner (it's basically Kerosene in a spray can) but it's not a very good lubricant. PB Blaster or 'Gunk' Liquid Wrench is much better...

Comment

Luckily there looks to be enough meat to grip on both bolts with a wise grip.
      Don't use Vise Grips on them, that will never do it. Try using a pipe wrench instead. It bites much better and if set carefully wll not slip off. You can get enough grip to twist off the stud if you do it this way. I have never seen anybody twist the bolt off with Vise-Grips.

Liquid Wrench is a much better choice than the WD-40 for loosening stuck bolts. Even better is to heat up the head area with a propane torch and then spray your penetrating oil on when it is hot. As the head cools, it draws the oil into the threads and gets better penetration. Whacking the end of the bolt with a hammer can help break the corrosion loose and get things moving, too.

Mark

Comment

I was able to remove a broken exhaust bolt with Vice Grips, and a dremel tool. I flattened the sides a bit, and then clamped on and unscrewed it. Don't know if it will work for you, and it probably isn't the best way, but it worked for me.

Comment

If you're not going to bring it to a shop (at $60 buck an hour, who could blame you?) then you'd better be prepared for the drill/tap/helicoil routine. I've already gone through this on three different bikes. There are always one or two two bolts that wil just not come out, no matter what you do.
          Practice on something else before doing it for real. Follow the instructions that come with the helicoil kit precisely!

Comment

I Just pulled my exhaust studs off WITH vice grips. of course I used the torch. you must get it red hot. MAPP gas gets hotter than propane and you can use it on any standard propane torch nozzel. the base of the bolt to engine MUST get pink to red or it may not work.
            cheap way out..
            Stimpy

Comment

I have pulled a few by soaking them up with Aero Kroil. Letting them sit a day of so but reapplying the penetrant and tapping the end of the stud with a hammer. The Aero Kroil will eventually penetrate through even moderate rust and the tapping helps break loose any corrosion and loosen the stud.

Another penetrant has been mentioned in the forum that people have had good luck with but I can't remember the name.

On a scale of one to 10 I would give liquid wrench a 3 and Aero Kroil a 10. A one would be WD 40 or kerosene.

Mike

Comment

Vice grips/pipe wrench and heat. Not too much heat.
                Aluminum melts before steel don't forget.

Comment

I've tried

Argh well after managing to drill one of the bolts I tried with a good quality easy out to no avail.I decided to deepen the hole and I managed to break the drill inside the hole.
                  Iseriously tried with heat and lube pipe wrench .........
                  I will never install anything with ss bolts in the exhaust area.
                  What are my options?
                  Is it difficult to get the head of?
                  How easy is it to work on the engine in the frame?
                  My engine has 59000 km on it so maybe I should do a rebuild on the topend at the same time?

My other option is to buy a part bike for $300.00 with bodywork and a header.
                  The guy says it's a superflow header but I 've never heard of that before?
                  I'm guessing it's a Supertrap?
                  Maybe I should swap out the engine for the other from the parts bike and have another engine to rebuild.
                  + I can sell of some stuff to make it financially feasible.
                  It's really late and I'm tired.
                  Guys and gals please give me your advice how to proceed
                  (Bloody knuckles) in Vancouver BC Canada
                  Mikey

Comment

I warned you. You have to remove the head and bring it to a machine shop and have it removed by EDM. You are looking at some pretty heavy machining fees. They may be able to remove it with a carbide end mill, but no promises. I can not stress enough to replace exhaust bolts with studs and use bolts. Apply copper anti-sieze to the studs and you will never have a problem like this again. Sorry about your bad luck.

Dr. Dre

Comment

i usually charge 10-30 dollers each to get out broken bolts from stuff just like you mentiond.sounds cheap in retrospect but you wouldnt believe the #of people that scoff at that price until they work at it a few days.if they tried it first the price usually reflects it.Mark

Comment

Some good news at last

Hi I have a friend who is a machinist and he took pity on me.

I finally got a hold of my friend and he is an old school machinist from Serbia.

His first words to me after I explained my dilema to him was DON'T Touch IT

He came over to my house and loaded up the bike in his pickup truck.
                        2 Hrs later he calls,the first bolt is out.The one I tried to fix myself.
                        It seems like I will get of with a scare this time.
                        In theory it sounds easy but reality is a different ball game.

I will let you all know how it turns out.
                        Mike

Comment

Fixed

Hi it's been fixed allready
                          When I came home this afternoon the bike was sitting in my driveway
                          I can allmost taste my first ride for the season.
                          Well I definetely owe him a case of beer
                          Mike

Comment

Working...
                          X