trial and error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trial and error

Purchased new grips last nite...then this morning I got up to go to work and the light were on but no fire from the starter button. Called a cab then after work took out the battery and put it on the charger. Took the
    starter switch apart and cleaned. (did I mention that I took a block of wood to drive the new grips on? ) Thought maybe I broke something in the switch when I did that...Put the battery back in and reassembled the starter switch , turned on the ignition and NO FIRE!!! Got on the web-site and searched for starter problems and found it could also be the clutch switch...It was then it dawned on me the guy at the bike shop said my new grips were a little bigger!!!!!LIGHT BULB...Took off the grip, pulled the clutch handle and guess what? It started!!!! Just thoughtr I'd put this on so some other poor soul might benefit from my stupidity

I had a panic attack when I first bought Izzy, my GS700. I brought it home and was cleaning her all up, all giddy, but I couldn't ride her yet. My parents come over to the house and I bring them out to show them my new treasure. I hop on the bike to start her up so they can hear the awesome sound of the mighty GS, turn the key thumb the button, and nothing. I started going nuts, desparatly trying to find out what I had done, what I had screwed up. Well, I was holding the clutch in all this time, trying to find something wrong, and I guess my had started to get tired, so I released the clutch a bit, just a 1/4 inch or so, and the starter kicks in and all is well. Turns out my clutch switch would only activate with the lever pulled in most of the way, not all the way. That switch lasted about another week before it was unplugged. I hate idiot switches. BTW, My parents, who , to put it lightly, dislike the idea of me riding a motorcycle, seemed to like the fact that it didn't start. They tried to convince me it was a 'sign'. Shortly after which it started.

Comment

WOW

Well, that just goes to show that it's better to check out the simple things first.! I hate that clutch switch and bypassed mine as soon as I bought the bike.

That's great information because it would be something that somebody might go crazy trying to figure out.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

how do you disable the clutch swith?

Comment

Switch

I'm sure you'll get a better answer from somone else because it's been so long since I did it. I misspoke when I said I "bypassed" it...I think that would be easy to do but I did something a little different, as I recall.

I took the switch apart and cut a small piece of copper scrap that I had. I then crossed it in the switch so that it would act as though it was engaged regardless of the position of the clutch handle.

That way, my bike stays like it was made to be and someone could simply remove the little copper piece and it would be as good as new.

If you take the switch apart you'll see just what you need to do!
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Follow the wires below the clutch switch back into the headlight bucket, disconnect those wires, and join the two wires that they connect to. Not the ends you unhook from the clutch switch.

Comment

Actually, you just need to unplug the switch wires (in the headlight shell) and then connect the wires on the harness together.

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
                They tried to convince me it was a 'sign'. Shortly after which it started.
                Signs are overrated.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                X