Hard starting gs 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard starting gs 1100

[Anyone have a problem with cold starting your gs1100? I have a 1983 GS 1100 that is a real bear to start when it is cold.The choke works properly and the enjine turns over fast enough but i have to crank and crank to get it going.once it is started it will run flawlessly for hour after hour and will start up immeadiately. The bike only has 23k miles so it can't be low compression. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks Larry lstill@aol.com :P [/b]

I am assuming that you have checked for a good fat spark at the plugs, and that the coils are good? Just a couple of ideas....

Comment

Simplest thing to check is your fuel petcock handle position. If you have it on prime, it will often make for tough starts.

You did not say whether it is smooth-running once warm, or rough, which would suggest carb work needed.

Do check your spark, and the plugs, as already suggested.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Give her a complete tune up, and clean the carbs. Make sure there are no vacuum leaks in the intake boots. Most of all remember, some of these bikes are just plain cold blooded. 32K miles does not mean your compression is okay BTW. 32K of easy highway miles with me riding the bike (I am horribly kind to my machines) is not the same as 32K miles ridden by someone that loves to live at 12,000 RPMs. SOmething as simple as overfilling the oil and leaving it that way for awhile can cause your compression to suffer forever. Piston rock will Pear-Shape the cylinders...

Tim

Comment

Cold Natured

My GS1100GL is somewhat hard to start but it takes a while before I can close the choke.

Comment

Re: Cold Natured

Originally posted by E. W. Mitchell IV
            My GS1100GL is somewhat hard to start but it takes a while before I can close the choke.
            IM WONDERING WHAT YOU MEAN BY A WHILE--I HAVE TO LET MINE RUN FOR 2 OR 3 MINUTES AND THEN DRIVE IT A COUPLE OF BLOCKS BEFORE I CAN CLOSE THE CHOKE

Comment

Hard Times

After the bike has cooled, Summer or Winter, my bike takes 3 to 5 minutes to warm-up and then it sputters for a few blocks. I've rode with people that push thier choke in almost immediateley after start. Granted thier bikes aren't as old as mine but I wouldn't think that it should take as long as that ( ie... after a work day ).

Everything is worse in the Winter and hard starts are added.

Comment

my bike always slobbers and burps so i cant tell you of any personall experience except that before i messed with th exhaust and related items it was a lot smoother and did not need as much choke for as long a time

Comment

Thanks for the tips guy;'s,guess i will start with a complete major tune up and clea n out carbs and see what happens. Bike is a little cold natured but once you get it running it will run forever! Larry 8)

Comment

Working...
                  X