X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Widest tire

Any idea what the maximum width tire will fit into a stock 1000/1100
    swingarm? maybe a 140 width?

I'm running a 130 now and it's tight,not touching but it seems to be about it.
    I got a 150, I think it's about 6 inches wide or edge to edge of the tread.

Remember this is a stock 1100 swingarm on my 1000S, not a GSXR swingarm.

I got it with some Lester mags I bought.
    The mags are in great condition. I think I'll paint them the S "blue"
    and polish the edges.
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Width

Handling= standard width wheels=100x19/130x17 or larger rims =110x18/140x18 or 110x17/150x17 with the back of the brake stay flattened. Sure people run bigger tyres but for 1980 bikes with standard running gear they will steer like a big truck.

Comment

The more tire you try to squeeze onto a skinny wheel the less contact patch you end up with and handling turns to $hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
        The more tire you try to squeeze onto a skinny wheel the less contact patch you end up with and handling turns to $hit.
        I agree, but I do have a wider rim, this would not be on the stock rims.

I think I'll stay with the 130
        Keith
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

You have a picture of those Lester mag wheels? I'm curious how they look.

Comment

My 81 GS1000GL has a 140 on it. Stock rims. Somebody shoehorned it in there, but it fits.

Comment

thomas have you looked at how pointy the center tread looks on that tire when new? its ok until you try and turn, where the bike now falls into the turns instead of rolling into them. tis a bit scary when going from side to side with a lump in the middle 8O

Comment

140/80 is as big as you can go without the bizzare cornering feeling.

Comment

I also have a wider rim than stcok to mount the 150.
                  This wil lkepp it from being pointed or squeezed onto the rim.
                  Keith
                  2015Triumph Trophy SE

Comment

KGB how wide is your rim? I have bought a spare rear wheel for one of my 1150`s from a 86 model. The 84/85 had 3 inch rears and the 86 had 3.5 inch wheels. I am hoping to put a 150 on it also but am afraid of what it will handle like.

Comment

Working...
                    X