loud pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loud pipes

My Jardine 4-1 system is loud at high rpms. Really loud. I like the header pipes though. Can anyone suggest a good slipon muffler that isn't a glorified glass pack?

Thanks

Say WHAT!!!!!

Ben:
    Check the business end of your pipe to see if you can remove the baffling assembly in the muffler can, Usually there is some screws, allen heads or so & remove the assembly....my guess is that you may have blown out some of the fiberglass packing ...if indeed it uses that ...OR some of the assembly has rusted out & opened it up more. If it has rusted out & you can guess how it was baffled you could weld up a good replacement. It really doesn't matter how ugly it looks because your going to slid it all back into the chamber. If it all seems OK and is still too loud you can weld up your own interpretation of more baffling to quiet it down.
    Rick.......

Comment

Re: Say WHAT!!!!!

Originally posted by Richard Ellis
      Ben:
      Check the business end of your pipe to see if you can remove the baffling assembly in the muffler can, Usually there is some screws, allen heads or so & remove the assembly....my guess is that you may have blown out some of the fiberglass packing ...if indeed it uses that ...OR some of the assembly has rusted out & opened it up more. If it has rusted out & you can guess how it was baffled you could weld up a good replacement. It really doesn't matter how ugly it looks because your going to slid it all back into the chamber. If it all seems OK and is still too loud you can weld up your own interpretation of more baffling to quiet it down.
      Rick.......
      If it's anything like my Jardine, you'll need to drill out the rivet holding the baffle in, as there are no screws. 8)
      Kevin
      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

same thing

My Jardine is also REALLY LOUD. Anyhow my thought is that may putting a reducer of some kind in the slip on may quite it down some just haven't done it yet.

Being a straight though pipe making it smaller as it enters the muffler it may make it quiet????

Comment

No. It won't make it quieter, but it will change the backpressure. Which will also change the tone. It will tend to resonate at different frequencies than before. The best way to make it quieter is to create some type of labyrinthe in side the can. If the exhaust has to "turn around" a time or two before coming out the end then you will have effectively created a sound trap. Fiber glass or stainless steel wool can help also. Try to not do anything that will decrease the diameter of the pipe significantly either.

See how the two pipes pass each other to create a "meandering" path for the exhaust gases. This is basically how my Mac exhaust can worked. The Mac however did not have the perforations in the two pipes, so the exhaust came in the "entrance" pipe and flowed around the can until it found the other "exit" pipe. The Mac was fairly quiet, though it was louder than stock.

YMMV, I hope this helps....

Comment

another alternative is the supertrapp slip-ons for cars they use platelets at the end of the can to change the tone/pressure of your exhaust. if your jardine can is removeable and the output pipe is a 2" diameter these work quite well for giving you the desired sound you want.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions!

The Jardine can doesn't have an easy way to remove the baffle, you have to drill and cut to get it out, which I don't have the workspace or equipment to do, yet... :twisted:

I was looking at the Supertrapp car and sportbike mufflers but wasn't sure how much they would alter backpressure. The Jardine muffler can didn't require rejetting and I really have no interest in that at all. I don't want to start playing the exhaust/air/fuel game trying to balance the bike to higher performace standards, since it's quite gnarly enough for me just the way it is!

But then the Supertrapps are adjustable, so I can can adjust backpressure as well as sound level, right? Or wrong?

Thanks
              Ben

Comment

I had a supertrapp on my car once. The more baffles you have the less back pressure the less baffles the more back pressure you have.

I pulled off my jardine last night and was try to see how hard it would be to pull apart It looks like just drilling out one rivet and it should slide out.

I was even looking at adaping the plate system from supertrapp to the jardine pipe. Maybe possible??

Comment

I have that jardine 4 into 1 can on my '82 GS850L (previous owner put it on) and I have found it to be VERY loud.
                  Popped the rivets and still could NO-Way get it apart!
                  Really tight, and I have a blacksmith shop! I am used to getting metal stuff apart and worked-out!
                  Mine is on the bike now w/ no rivets for the last 6 months - looks like it will never come apart! I wanted to put in some packing... Oh, well!

Comment

Working...
                  X