chain breaker and riviter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chain breaker and riviter

I want to buy a tool to break and rivit chains. i would like to do the cam chain as well as up to a 630 drive chain. what is the size of the cam chain on my 1983 gs1100e ?? I cant find the info in my shop book.
    Any recomendations on what tool is good and the proper pricing. also does any one have one they will sell or give me??

Sorry but I can not think of any nasty remarks for would be wise asses This is too important to me.

I ceryaintly will appreciate guidance from any one on this subject please :roll:

Not sure of the exact size Dom, but it is only about 1/4" wide, maybe slightly wider.

Comment

I'm going to be buying a breaking/riveting tool soon too for the purpose of changing my cam chain. MotionPro sells a tool (#08-0058) that they claim will work on both cam chains and drive chains up to 630. At $100 it's not exactly cheap but if it's well made and does the job I don't mind spending the money.

When I get it I'll drop you a line to let you know what I think of it.

Jeff

Comment

MR J
        I see the motion pro tool around for 80 dollars or less i believe. I am looking at that one also. I want the correct tool for safety reasons as I am sure you do also.

Herer is one on ebay for $60 but it just says cam chains not drive chains. The sizes of the diferent pins may be a clue??

this one is in england but looks similar and says it will fit drive chains. but not enough info for me to see if it is the same as the first one. i just wanted to see if which tool will do all the sizes

Comment

for replacing the cam chain on an old honda I had luck using my old bicycle chain tool. for both removing and installing.food for thought

Comment

I bought just a chain breaker from my local bike shop. It has a changable anvil so it can do larger and smaller chains (used it on both 630 and camchain) to rivet them back together I use a small G-clamp and a small socket ( it is a little bit fiddly) when done I place the chain breaker on and loosen it off a touch to be sure the link wont bind up.
            Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Don Watson
              for replacing the cam chain on an old honda I had luck using my old bicycle chain tool. for both removing and installing.food for thought
              a good thought
              Does any one know the size of the cam chain.256--35--45 or whatever. I efinitely want one that weill work on borth the 630 and down to whatever size the cam chin is.

I just missed a bid on a crimping tool for chains that looked like a bolt cutter. It looked extra sturdy. Someone else wanted it more than I did.
              Duncan i am not that good with my hands any more so i need a specific tool for crimping

Comment

Working...
              X