Rear Tire Removal '84 GS750EF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Tire Removal '84 GS750EF

Alright, I've read through all the other posts in this forum regarding rear tire removal, and I guess I'm enough of a newb to not be able to figure it out on my own.

I just picked up an '84 GS750EF last weekend, sweet bike with lotsa power (I just came from an '80 Honda 400, ugh). It's got a Supertrapp exhaust on it, 4-1, and I'm running 9 rings. I don't know if it's been jetted or not, that's my next project to check But for now, it definitley needs a rear tire.

I've got one on order from the shop, but the local tire shop doesn't have a stand for bikes, so they need me to take the tire off and bring it to them. No big deal, right? For some reason I can't for the life of me figure out how the heck to get the damn thing off.

Here's what I think should happen:
    -Undo the little screws holding those covers on the arms.
    -Remove the cotter pin and undo the wheel lug nut (right side)
    -Somehow I've got to disconnect the rear brake? But does it stay with the wheel or does it stay with the bike?
    -I think after reading the others, I've got to get the axle out as well, guess I should bang it with a mallet or something. Not sure, as I'm lost at that last step already!

As much detail as you can give, maybe a picture or something would help.

Thanks guys!

Place a wooden dowel or something on the end of the axle and tap on it with a hammer. Once the head of the axle clears the swingarm you can put a phillips screwdriver through the hole in the head of the bolt and pull the axle out. The brake caliper will stay on the bike. It's attached to a caliper hanger that the axle slides through. Put a light coat of grease on the axle when you reassemble.

Comment

Yeah, if you're got a single sided exhaust it's way better to remove the axle than it is to pull the chain off the sprocket and slide EVERYTHING off of the back of the swingarm.

Steve

Comment

OK, so I got the lug off, is there anything else I should undo before I bang on this thing? I took a handle from a plunger, figuring that'd do it, and whacked it a few good ones, but only suceeded in smashing the end of the plunger :? Which leads me to believe that I've missed something, or it's just on there really good.

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
          Yeah, if you're got a single sided exhaust it's way better to remove the axle than it is to pull the chain off the sprocket and slide EVERYTHING off of the back of the swingarm.

I guess what Steve is trying to say is you have to slide the wheel forward once the axle is out and the wheel drops to get the chain off the sprocket. The sprocket and its carrier come off with the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshMeat
            OK, so I got the lug off, is there anything else I should undo before I bang on this thing? I took a handle from a plunger, figuring that'd do it, and whacked it a few good ones, but only suceeded in smashing the end of the plunger Which leads me to believe that I've missed something, or it's just on there really good.
            Sounds like the wheel hasn't been off in awhile. You're going to have to whack it pretty good from the threaded side of the axle. Your axle has some corrosion on it sticking to the bearing supports in the wheel hub. Make sure you grease the axle when you put things back together. You can also try putting the phillips screwdriver through the head of the axle and see if you can break it loose by turning it a little.

Comment

Billy: I have a 2 into 2 on my 400 so I have to remove the adjusters and all that other stuff like the brake brace and actuator, etc. I leave the axle in place and only loosen it to remove the back wheel.

Steve

Comment

Well, I did it, thanks for all your help.

I did end up banging the axle out, and it came out bone-dry. Only looks like a little bit of corrosion on one end, but I can see why now you grease it up good on the way back in

Comment

Working...
                X