Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas tank compatability

greetings,

i need to know what is compatable with my 1986 GS 450L gas tank. It's rusting inside, and has already been lined, so apparently i need a new tank. I was told that 1986-1988 were the same, but i was curious if i could use a yamaha or honda tank maybe. Again, it's 1986 GS450L, red gas tank. It's just starting to get nice out, i'm anxious to ride. Please help!
    By the way, it anyone has one to sell me, that would be ideal of course....
    THanks
    lplesset@zoo.uvm.edu

$327.32 NEW from BikeBandit.com OR have it professionally coated

Comment

In reply to professionally coated....

I was told that the coating, or liner, would not work or stick since it has already been lined. So pretty much i was told to buy a new tank, which $350 is not worth it to me, or the bike. But, If there is some way i can get it professionally coated still, please let me know.

Thanks

Comment

Just a thought but you might want to see if you can dissolve the liner that's in the tank now. If it's Kreem then I believe acetone should take care of it, then you can prep and line the tank again.

Comment

reply to acetone....

not kreem, cant use acetone. Back to square one. I guess I'll keep looking for a used one on ebay or something...

thanks

Comment

Explore POR-15's extensive range of restoration products, perfect for bringing new life to any vehicle with superior performance and quality. Order online now!

you can fix your rusted tank for $31, shipping, and a little bit of work. i'm absolutely positive because i was in your position about two weeks ago with the exact same tank, the tank is now on my bike. just order up the cycle tank repair kit, it tells you how to properly restore your tank. just a heads up, if you do end up getting this, make sure you use a vacuum to dry the tank for the last step, any other method will produce more rust. i had to find out the hard way the first time i used it. good luck

Comment

Working...
            X