Touching up paint on fuel tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Touching up paint on fuel tank

I just noticed some minor bubbling of paint right next to the filler neck on the outside of my fuel tank. I suspect that I got a little to enthusiastic on topping off the tank for winter storage (in order to prevent internal rust), and some gasoline may have seeped out when it expanded on a warm day. Anyway, what is the best way of cleaning up these bubbles, preparing the exposed metal, and touching up the small affected areas? What type of touch-up paint is best, and are there any preferred finishing methods after painting (original paint is a sort of pearlescent white)? The final appearance isn?t of extreme importance since the paint bubbles are largely hidden by the gas cap but I would like to do a reasonably durable and presentable job.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

BB

Simon,
    Since you don't want to repaint take a side panel to a good automotive paint supplier. Most of them can computer match the paint and give it to you in an aerosol can. Acrylic enamel would probably be your best bet. Sand the area with wet and dry sandpaper with 600 grit or finer so you get a good feathered edge. Mask off an area larger than you need to touch up. Spray the bad area solid then feather it out further onto the tank. Then either shoot the entire tank with some clear or shoot clear on the touched up area, remove the masking, then take reducer made for the paint you use and spray it with a Preval sprayer over an even larger area than you touched up while the clear is still tacky. The reducer will help blend and get rid of any difference in appearance. It won't turn out perfect but it shouldn't be noticeable to anyone that never knew there was any damage. Prime and sand any bare metal.

Comment

You can also get a touch up pen from www.Color_Rite.com?

Comment

You have to register to use their site.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
          http://www.color-rite.com/

You have to register to use their site.
          I just perused their site. How does one find out what the paint code of their bike
          Kevin
          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Thank you, gentlemen, for your advice. I apologize for the delay in expressing my gratitude but I have been out of town visiting the great State of Texas for a few days.

Simon

Comment

Working...
            X