Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonofa...!!!

Ok, I was stupid, gimme a break.

I was using a dowel to set TDC on the cylindar while I check valves. I got lazy on the number 1 cylindar and didn't want to walk over to the other side to crank the ratchet attached to the crankshaft. (no kickstarter on this) So I tapped the starter... and it jumped up to crack my little dowel. Then that broke off while trying to remove it from the plug hole.

How do I get a chunk of dowell out of my cylinder without removing the head? 8O

another stick

Try getting another stick and sharpening up a small finish nail on both ends. Drive the finish nail into the stick and see if you can determine the end of the dowel in the engine and try to jab it. Failing that get some thick grease and see if you can stick it to the dowel inside...We all do stupid things sometimes, I've done my share....Mike

Comment

You might wanna try some gum, or a a dab of OOPs, or some other sticky-gummy type thing, and another stick.

Comment

Good tips! I'm leery of a nail for fear of scoring a piston. the goo route has mt interest, though.

Thanks!

Comment

A vacuum and some gas line like I did

Comment

Double sided carpet tape on the end of the stick. That's stuff is sticky as all heck.

Comment

1). Work out for six weeks 2). Place one hand on the forks and the other on the swing arm. 3). Lift bike over your head and turn upside down. 4). Shake like hell!!!

Comment

The work out tip is your best bet, but seal your tank first, or just drain it. Of course, that means six weeks of no riding, maybe the tape/goo tricks aren't so bad, I would try heavy grease first, then go with other stuff if that doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig
                  1). Work out for six weeks 2). Place one hand on the forks and the other on the swing arm. 3). Lift bike over your head and turn upside down. 4). Shake like hell!!!

you must be reallly buff 8O :mrgreen: :twisted:

Comment

grabber

Well, since you didn't like my first idea :-), just kidding you've got a point. If you're luck's like mine, if there's any way to do more damage you would.
                    How 'bout one of those grabber tools, can't thnk of the proper name right now. It's about 2' long, looks something like a speedo or tach cable, you push down on one end and the other opens up with three fingers on it. I've used one numerous times to grab dropped screws in places you could barely see...Mike

Comment

Drop some termites in there. Then during the six weeks you're working out . . .

Or maybe a coat hanger with one end bent into a friction snagging device.

Good luck.
                      Del

Comment

How about one of those grabbers with the 4 prongs that come out when you push the syringe style button at the other end of the flexible rod. You might be able to reach in and just pull it out.

Comment

Go with Steve's idea. A vacuum with the hose reduced down to fuel line size so you can get it into the cylinder should work. Keep fishing and you'll get all the little bits and grab a big one every now and then.

Comment

Rather than chance nicking something and adding a tiny metal fragment to the cylinder, I'd be tempted to just run the engine and let the dowel burn.

Comment

If I was being you, I would be trying and using a special "wood magnet".

These are not really being found in every hardware store, but perhaps your local Home Depot is having them.

Comment

Working...
                              X