tilted engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tilted engine

over the weekend, i noticed my engine was slightly off kilter... if you look at the engine head on, it's tilted slightly to the right (clockwise). looks like one of the mounting points is sagging (looks like there's a rubber spacer that's sagging, but i couldn't tell).

is this a hard fix? can i just replace the rubber and everything will be fine?

What model is your bike? Never seen a rubber mounted GS!

Comment

Did you tell your engine that its supposed to lean with the bike? Its not supposed to try to stand up straight in the corners..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

it's an 82 850g... i wasn't sure if it was rubber or not... it looks like it's sagging at that bolt (hard to see what's going on exactly, as the case guards are still in place, and, whatever is going on, it's going on behind where the guard attaches to the frame.) my friend had the same problem with his bike, an 80-something honda cb900 (which was rubber mounted), and it looked similar, so i thought it was rubber.

uhh, ok, so, if it's not rubber, then i take it that this is a worse problem than i thought? the bike went down a few months ago, and the right side guards took most of the impact, so i'm guessing that's why the engine is tilting the other way. i should have some time to take a look at it tomorrow, to see what exactly is going on down there, but, i was wondering what the possible causes & remedies could be before i starting taking things apart, so, if i could, i could just fix whatever the cause is then... thanks for your help

Comment

Thats one of the reasons some people are against crash guards. It can bend the frame??? I would check the motor mounts make sure the bolts aren't broken

Comment

yeah check your bolts and mounting tabs for being bent or broken

Comment

If its not a bent or broken motor mount, you might have frame damage instead...

Comment

thanks for the replies guys... are the mounting tabs the little tabs underneath the engine block, that brace the engine against the frame? if so, yeah, one of those seems to have folded back up, so that tab is above the frame on one side, and there's free room on the other side of the engine, in between that tab and the frame. are they supposed to be able to move (ie - if i get under there, will i be able to pull the one that's up out?) the bolts are bent too... so, hopefully, after i replace those bolts, are re-center the engine (with the tabs in place), it'll be right as rain.

thanks again for the advice!

Comment

Working...
                X