EZ shift indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EZ shift indicator

My beloved EZ tipped over. The big chrome ring around the headlight got a ding and now the LCD shift indicator wont show 1,2 or 3. Just a zero. 4 and 5 still show. Whats up ? Anyone ever figure out the stop lamp indicator always on prob ?

Re: EZ shift indicator

Originally posted by Dave Biggerstaff
    My beloved EZ tipped over. The big chrome ring around the headlight got a ding and now the LCD shift indicator wont show 1,2 or 3. Just a zero. 4 and 5 still show. Whats up ? Anyone ever figure out the stop lamp indicator always on prob ?
    I'm hoping to look at my cluster today. As for the vanished 1,2,3 I'd say you have some loose wires. Not sure, but if the gear selection comes in individual wires that's probably it.

I'll let you know what I com up with.

Michael

Comment

BTW, is the gear indicator LCD supposed to be lighted? Mine's dark.

Michael

Comment

Yes it is supposed to be lighted, there is a diode in there or a really smal bulb. It is soldered onto the circuit board. I have one dark and two lit in my harem.

Comment

Gear position indicator

Yeah mine is dark too. I guess its only 1 & 2 that show 0. 3, 4 & 5 are ok. I looked in the headlight basket and everything looks tight. Dave

Comment

Speed wobbles 82 GS1100EZ

Hey Tim Garry, With all those bikes do you see any similarities in the high speed ride. My suspension is orig with 30K. At about 100 mph its like the frame is on a hinge. Not a good feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Garry
              Yes it is supposed to be lighted, there is a diode in there or a really smal bulb. It is soldered onto the circuit board. I have one dark and two lit in my harem.
              I took mine apart. Yeah, that's one small bulb alright. 2x5 mm small. It's 12V... Don't know where I'll find a replacement. I think it's too high voltage for most LEDs... hrmmmm....

Comment

My suspension is orig with 30K. At about 100 mph its like the frame is on a hinge. Not a good feeling.
                Check the swingarm bushings first. Looseness like you describe is usually caused at the back end. Then check your steering head bearings and after that buy a new set of shocks, at 30K your OEM ones are toast. Some new springs in the forks along with fresh oil would also be a noticeable improvement.

Mark

Comment

Swing arm bushings, air pressure and rear shocks. Also check alignment of tires. Find a flat piece of concrete with a puddle and get the tires wet and drive straight and check the tracks. But I agree at 30k your OEM rear shocks are toast, not that anyone that is a member here would ride 100 MPH

Comment

Problem solved

When the headlight hit the ground, it pinched a wire bundle against the frame. On closer inspection, the five wire bundle ran the gear selector indicator. One wire for each gear. Two wires were cut. Solder and heatshrink and it works again. Still not lighted.

Comment

Re: Problem solved

When the headlight hit the ground, it pinched a wire bundle against the frame. On closer inspection, the five wire bundle ran the gear selector indicator. One wire for each gear. Two wires were cut. Solder and heatshrink and it works again. Still not lighted.
                      Yes. I was going to suggest just that. The LCD display is controlled by a multiplexor and 7-segment display chip. Basically, it brings in a certain number of lines, one of them carrying a signal. Each line has a number and the number of the active line is output to an LCD in 7-segment format. Some of your lines were cut (as you know) so those didn't register. 0 (neutral or between gears) is the default.

Regarding the lighting, I fixed mine but it was a major PITA. Don't bother. I had to get a $3 LED part from Radio Trash, modify it, solder it, and fuss with the damn thing for an hour before it was all right. That's not including the disassembly/assembly time, which was a couple more hours and a PITA on its own. So don't bother. Most bikes I've seen don't even have the handy-dandy indicator so you might want to learn to live without it (at least at night). If it's a big deal, run a light on the outside and shine it in.

Going back to the original post, I'd say that the stop lamp indicator always-on thing is probably a bad contact somewhere, most likely the actual stop lamp in its socket. That was the problem with my old Subaru anyway. Actually it was in the connector closest to the socket. Whatever.

Michael

Comment

Dash light

Hey, Michael, I'm curious to know if there was any difference in the brightness of your gear indicator light after you changed it? In other words, is it still dim? I'm wondering if the bulbs lose their "ooomph" after so many years or if they weren't up to the task, even when new. Thanks!
                        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Re: EZ shift indicator

.... Anyone ever figure out the stop lamp indicator always on prob ?
                          IIf this is part of a previous thread then excuse the silly questions about the "stop lamp issue"
                          But:
                          Have you checked the 2 switches and readjusted them?
                          If that is okay, run a test wire from the battery (+) to each of the contacts for your tail light.
                          One should be dimmer than the other.
                          If both are equal, you may have the wrong bulb number in there.

Comment

Re: Dash light

Originally posted by chuckycheese
                            Hey, Michael, I'm curious to know if there was any difference in the brightness of your gear indicator light after you changed it? In other words, is it still dim? I'm wondering if the bulbs lose their "ooomph" after so many years or if they weren't up to the task, even when new. Thanks!
                            Well, I replaced mine with an LED so it's really a different ball game now. Still, the bulbs can lose their brightness. The one I removed was covered with silvery stuff on the inside. I presume it's vaporized bits of filament coating the glass. Either way, it's gotta be hard to shine light through.

The display is still dim, but you can see it at night, and that's all I wanted.

Michael

Comment

Thanks

Thanks, Michael. I can see mine, even in the day, so I must have a pretty decent bulb...It's just not as bright as the dashes I've had on any other bikes so I wondered. :roll:
                              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
                              X