Muffler goes “POP”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muffler goes “POP”

I had a lean condition causing a backfire at deceleration. After reading the plugs, I made adjustments to each of the 4 carbs. 3 richer, and 1 leaner. I also changed the plugs. I don?t recall the alphabet soup that was on the old plugs, but I put in the exact ones called for in the manual. The number, I think 9, was the same on the old and new plug.
    This morning, I noticed considerably better response, and much more power at a lower RMP. I am sure this bike will fly now. \/ But, I was it heavy traffic. The bike got very hot during the 1 hour (10 mile) commute. I stopped at a light and after idling a few seconds I heard a very loud POP. Since I am in Washington DC I assumed it was just some kid shooting a gun. At the next light I heard two more POP?s and I figured this kid was determined. It happened yet again, and I had to face the fact that my damn bike is backfiring.
    Could I have richened the mix too much? I only went ? turn on the pilot jet screw?s. Could the fresh plugs be causing this? Is it maybe because the bike was so damn hot?
    Patrick
    1980 GS850G

from what i know, rich is cooler, so i'm a little baffled on that one. As to the backfiring, that could be a valve thing, my bike is a little on the rough side and i can from time to time hear a pop.

If nothing else its just somthing to keep in mind.

Comment

heh. A friend had a starting problem, and kept fiddling with mix and trying starter fluid on his bike. After about 15 minutes of this, he notices the wire is loose on his coil (Honda twin). He attaches the coil wire, and hits the starter.

BOOM!

It split the weld on his pipe from header to baffle. Now THAT's a backfire. The pipe and baffle werre full of a combination of starter fluid and atomized gas in air. Hella explosive mix, and he ignited it.

Comment

The bike gets hot from putting around for an hour on a hot day. Nothing I would not have expected for super low speed driving. When I looked at the plugs again last night I had 3 Tan Beauties and 1 Black Hairy. I leaned that cylinders pilot screw by 1/2 turn. No backfires this morning, but it was cooler and I was able to ride a little faster so the bike stayed a little cooler too.
        I am sure the carbs need to be synched and the valves need adjustment too.
        Patrick

Comment

Sounds good man!

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
          X