Ignition problems 1982 gs 450. help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition problems 1982 gs 450. help!

When i took my bike out of storage about 4 weeks ago i found it would not start with the starter button. i could push start it and cross it over to start it and eventually the starter button started working. everthing was fine until yesterday when i turned the key on and got nothing. no lights, no power. i pulled the battery and checked the charge which was full and checked for dead cells and there were none. when i try to push start the bike it runs for about 4 seconds then dies. when i cross it over it turns over, both with the key on and off but will not start. Any ideas whats going on? any help would be appreciated!

Fried main fuse? Fried connector?

The connector for my ignition to the main harness fried last spring. I'd examine all connectors to see if you busted one. (or have a loose one).

Comment

Welcome to the 450 Electrical Problem Club! I'm having some fun with mine at the moment. Another forumer was kind enough to point me at a website where I found this diagram. Hope it helps. I think it may just be confusing me more!

Comment

hey try this before you get all upset! (i had the same problem) behind the starter button is two small peices of copper... remember, your bike is 22 years old! the pieces on my bike were a litte dirty and that is why my bike wouldn't start. i opened it up (carefull there is a spring in there and it will fly!) cleaned the contacts and i was ready to go!

hope this helps!

Jusitn

Comment

Sounds like the plastic connector on the ignition switch where it hooks to the harness or the ignition switch itself. Seperate the connector, check for burned wires, corrosion, or a bad connection. Clean or repair and retry. If all looks good jump the wires in the harness side of the connector, you have to use the wiring scematic to make sure you hook the right wires to the coresponding wires. Once you do this everything should work, which means the ignition switch has gone south............replace ignition.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Dre

Comment

thanks for all who have replied so far. however for those who are directing me towards the starter button/ignition switch, wouldnt the bike push start fine if that was the problem? and wouldnt the headlights and dash lights work also? the fried connector/fried main fuse is sounding more along the lines of the problem? am i right? anyone care to elaborate further on that?

Comment

The main fuse will be under the side cover on the shifter side. (at least it is on mine, it should be near the starter relay) Its an old tube style fuse in a plastic holder.

As for the connector... well it could be any of a few, but the one that fried on mine was right behind the headlight and was for the ignition, amoung other things. It should be easy to tell if its bad. Mine, the copper had turned green and the wires just fell out of the plastic connector. I'd see if all wires going into the connectors are in snugly and that the connector itself looks to be in good shape. If thats not it at least you have checked something that does pose a problem from time to time anyways. And it didn't cost ya nothin but time.

Most people here will tell you that all connections and grounds need a good check up before each season as regular maintenence.

Comment

Working...
              X