NEWBIE needs help with 82' gs450t Need help with clutch LONG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEWBIE needs help with 82' gs450t Need help with clutch LONG

Alright i just got this for free. And its in peices. Im missings some things and if you can help me out then that would be very nice. Anyways I took the clutch cable off since it was sticking. I could tell it was the routing so i rerouted and sprayed wd-40 and its now nice.

I took the chain cover? off where the clutch cable goes into. I see the pin where the thing that spins the rod coming out of the tranny? next to the chain. And it lines up with where the clutch cable goes into a spiral thing that turns and goes inward when the clutch cable is pressed.

How does this plastic sprial thing grab ahold of the rod coming out of the engine/tranny block? also when i put the cover back on do i screw the rod in? or leave it out? It spins easily with my fingers. i just dont see how the thing spins it, if it even is.

The bike is missing alot of parts. 1 part was connected to the choke rod that pulls the pin up. i made one out of alumium but it looks like crap, rear swing arm bolt that goes through the frame. and 2 bolts that go through the front brake caliper. Its also missing the exhaust from the head all the way back and the rear shocks. and bolts to all.

The guy who gave it to me was saying he thought that there was parts missing from the carbs. Well just that choke rod peice that lifts the pin? and that would cause only one cylinder to fire? thats what he said at least. I took the carbs apart and cleaned them. Hooked up all the wiring except one wire that i have no idea where it goes. Its the thickest red wire on the bike that goes from the ignition switch to right next to the starter relay? or whatever the + of the battery goes. Does this connect to the + post on the relay? Also how can i tell if my clutch plate is bad or worn? am i supposed to be able to turn the rod next to the chain sprocket that engages the clutch? Sorry, im new. Thanks!!!!!!!

ok, here goes:

- The rod coming from the "tranny" is the clutch push rod, that is, the clutch wire via some gizmo push this rod to the right/towards the tranny to disengage the clutch. It's suppose to turn freely, but it's the pushing action which is important.

-As for the red wire, it sounds like the main power wire of the bike, it's supposed to connect to the battery side of the starter solenoid/relay.

-Missing parts? Got to the nearest breaker's yard and pick up what you need!

Comment

NB! The red wire should have a fuse somewhere, preferably next to the battery/solenoid connection.

Comment

thanks

but the red wire(run?) goes from under the igniton key next to the orange wire(start?) and shoots down and is hanging right in front of the solenoid(which is below the 12v regulator with fins on it}. Plus it has a female clip on it and it looks to me like it plugs right onto the stud that the 12+ from the batter goes. There is no fuse. Could the fuse be someplace in harness? I havent found a fuse yet on this bike. No fuse box or nothing. Everything seems like simple wiring and it all looks stock except one wire. And that comes from the other side of the starter solenoid? well its yellow with green stripe. And about a foot from the starter solenoid it turns to aqua and its loose and goes all the way up to the start button from there is twisted into a black wire comng off of the orange/white wire that goes to the start button. I guess it would look stock if where its twisted on there would be one of those red and clear wire clips that i see all over the bike.

But the question still remains the same, when i took the chain cover off and exposed the clutch rod. Where should the rod be whne re-installing the cover? threaded all the in? threaded half way in? threaded all the way out? Also the guy who gave it to me finally responded to my emails about the missing parts. He said he would look. Is there anyway without the bike started to tell if the clutch is bad? and how does that gizmo grab the clutch pin? im just making sure that nothing is missing, cause i dont see how it grabs it. Plus that one part was missing off the clutch linkage that moves the pins? up and down.

Comment

when you say threaded in, I'm not sure I follow. The clutch pushrod is or ought to be loose, and pushed all the way in when reassembling. It then fits, if my memory is correct, into a plastic disk with a hole in it on the inside of the chain cover.

As for the wire and fuse: look at the thread "81 GS450s - lets see if she'll run after sitting for 2 years" ->similar problem.

The red arrow indicates a white plastic fuse holder, as mentioned in the abowe post.
          I have to attend a meating now, will be back with more!

Comment

thanks

i just took off a whole bunch of electrical tape to see where that yellow and green stripe wire goes to. Well i start off at the clutch handle and work my way down, one is connected to the harness which goes to where your finger is pointing and its cut and under electrical tape, that is where the guy put in a new wire where you finger is pointing all the way up to the orange and white stripped starter button/killswitch wire. Now the other yellow and green wire comes out of the the clutch handle and goes right to the start button.

The red wire from the ignition key switch goes through the harness and there is where the hack job is. The hack job is right above the solenoid where your red wire is in the pic. The red wire from the key has a red wire spliced into it(just the end wrapped around} above the solenoid. and that sort of thick wire goes to? but its right next to the stud where +12 v from the batter goes. The red wire from the key goes through the harness and keeps on going all the way through a loop under the seat and through a clip and then loops and goes into the 12v regulator with fins on it. keep in mind that this is the wire the other is spliced off of above the solenoid and that is hanging freely and i think it goes to the + solenoid. oh yeah and the fuse circled,, its not there. I will put one in, any idea of the rating and amps?

Comment

Sound like someone's been doing stuff to this harnes. You should get hold of the old Haynes manual, it has got wiring diagrams for allmost all models. Here's a link to a GS450 harnes a guy is coloring, note the red wire http://www.sunrift.net/jtemp/wiring_diagram.htm

Comment

thanks

i searched for diagrams and already have that open, just havent looked at it yet. you can see how the red wire is hanging and where its spliced in under the electrical tape on the harness. also you can see the yellow and green wire now. but heres the clutch rod and here is where it goes no threading on either end. I dont understand how this works cause i can pull the rod out about a 1/4 inch and it will stop but then i can turn it counterclockwise and it will start sping the rod out about an inch and there it will stop.

Comment

nice pictures, the fact that u can't pull the rod all the way out, indicates that u have a one piece rod (there were model differences). It goes straight thru to the right side, and can be found inside the clutch assembly located behind the right hand side engine cover. I can't really tell whether the turn/spring motion is supposed to be there, but it sounds like normal operation. It is in any case the push pull operation that manouvers the clutch, not any form of rotation.

Comment

thanks

but how does the gizom grab the rod? and also why is it when the clutch is pulled that the gizmo pushes the rod in and clockwise?

Comment

Ahh, now I see it. The red wire is spliced where the fuse is supposed to be! .

Comment

the "gizmo" is not supposed to "grab" the clutch, it's supposed to push it in. This is done by the clutchwire rotating a wedge formed thingy.
                        Can't explain it any better, sorry

Comment

thanks

thanks for the help. So i should screw this clutch rod all the way in? and leave it? so once screwed all the way in i can grab it and pull it back and forth about 1/4 of an inch. But when its in gear and push it in i still cant move the chain sprockt. Like its not disengaging the clutch. maybe the little rod isnt being pushed in far enough. Also on the outside of the chain cover is a little cover with 2 screws. inside is the other side of the gizmo and there is a threaded stud in the middle weith a screwdriver groove cut into it and a nut on the stud to keep it in place.

I figure with the clutch rod screwed dowen and has a movement of 1/4 in and out that i should screw the shaft opn the other side of the gizmo until its flush with the shaft. like measure 1/4 of an inch and leave it out that much once i cant screw it down any further. Are you even understanding this? i can see it in my head but my brain works differently.

Comment

There is NO WAY IN HELL that you can engage disengage the clutch by hand. The chain cover MUST be in place, and the clutch lever operating. Clutch springs are though.
                            there is a threaded stud in the middle with a screwdriver groove cut into it and a nut on the stud to keep it in place.
                            I can't remeber exactely, but I think this is part of the cluch adjustment system. Leave it for the time beeing, and yes, push the rod in and assemble.

Comment

ok

that makes better sence. i thought i might be able to push it in a little But with the cover on and the rod all the weay in, i cant even push the clutch in with the clutch handle on the grip.

Comment

Working...
                              X