GS 650 electrical frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 650 electrical frustration

i'm not much of an electrical person... my friend's just bought a 83 gs650L. thing's in showroom condition... absolutely beatuiful. only problem is, it's not going to start. there's a short somewhere. every time we drop in a master fuse, and it blows with a little fizz. i'm not much of an electrical person. we went over the wiring with a fine toothed comb and couldn't figure out a damn thing.

any general ideas?

heart,
    jon

Does't it do it with the ign off or does it do it when the ign is turned on??
    I would start by disconnecting the Reg/Rect Then retest to see if the fuse blows.

Comment

Like the above post, we need to know when it fizzes. Is it when you turn on the key, or when you hit the starter? That will help to boil down the problem.

Have fun!
      JV

Comment

blowing fuses

we turn the key, pop in a correct size master fuse and poof. I?ve spent a lot of time greasing my hands with my own 450 and nothing turns me a brighter color than dealing with electrical stuff. i?ll try disconnecting the R/R and see what happens. the previous owner told us he'd recently changed the headlamp. that sent us into the spaghetti bowl for an hour...

thanks!

Comment

There are other possibilities, but if you are blowing the main fuse every time, Lynn has probably identified the problem for you.

The bike will start and run with or without the R/R connected, unless it has gone bad. If the R/r is bad, the bike will not run, just blow fuses.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

problem solved

it turned out, as you suspected, to be the regulator/rectifier. perhaps we'll post again with the triumphant sound the running bike makes spelled out phonetically.

sweet. thanks y'all.

-jon

Comment

Working...
            X