Too much gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too much gas

I have a 1983 GS 450A. I was haveing performance problems. It bogged odwn around 40 MPH. I took the crbs apart using the artical from this site. I found a few things wrong from the prevoius owner. Everythng went fine. The preformance problem Gone. I just completed it yesterday. This morning when I started up there is gas coming from the overflow tubes on both carbs. Also I am going through too much gas. Is this a float adjustment? I have also thought about pluging the prime side of the fuel valve. Can you adjust floats? How is it done?

If you are getting fuel through the overflow tubes, then the needle valves are clogged, and/or the floats are set way too high (actually low since they are set in an upside down position). Also if you are getting gas out the overflow it is probably also in the crank case. Check your oil for gas.
    Did you replace the needle valve with a new one when you did the carb cleanup? I assume that you did the full tear down and carb dip.
    I do not know of any way to set the floats without taking the carbs back off of the bike. But you may need to do that to look at the needle valves anyhow.
    Also, Do you have the OEM (Prime-On-Reserve) style Petcock? Does this flooding occur mainly when the bike is off? (Don?t run it with gas in the crank case just to find out though.)
    Patrick

Comment

I did not do the dip part of the tear down I used spray carb cleaner. I cleaned the needle valve seat with spray cleaner but did not repalce the seat or the needle. As far as I can tell the fuel valve is OEM. I knew that I could not adjust the float on the bike. But you bring a good point. I could replace the needle and valve seat with new. good point about the oil aslo. Back to work.

Comment

Ok heres my stock shopping list for you then
        1) If the gas is coming out when the bike is turned off. Even a small drip, replace the OEM petcock with a Pingel. (Search Pinleg pn this site to find out why, but the OEM one is the one really bad thing Suzuki did to these bikes.) You should probably just replace it anyhow.
        2) Go ahead and splurge and get carb rebuild its. Usually about $70 for 4 on ebay.
        3) Look up Robert Bar on this site, and get the new orings from him (like $12.00)
        4) Buy a can of the carb dip with a basket inside. ($10.00 at any autoparts store.)
        The carburator cleaner in a spray can is good for cleaning them up after the dip, but it will not get off the thin layer of varnish from gas that is inside the carbs. I am not sure what you mean about not being able to adjust your floats. Once you completely dissasemble them, you should be able to easily set them.
        Follow the directions on this site and you will be ok. I have limited mechanical ability and have a great set of carbs now for less than $100.00.
        Sometimes I think they should rename this message board Petcock/Carb Info, instead of Technical Info.
        Patrick

Comment

I ment that I could not adjust the floats until I took them off the bike again. thanks for the list.

Comment

I see what you mean now. I wish there was a way to adjust them on the bike. I get the pleasure of pulling mine back off to re-adjust the floats. Apparently they all need to be "exactly" the same. Stupid me, I set them all within the "range." The carbs work really well now, but I am having trouble with one cylinder running rich, and I suspect that that float is probably higher (meaning lower when setting) than the rest of them. At least I get to go through the fun of pulling out the airbox again.
            Patrick

Comment

Working...
            X