clutch pushrod should be screwed in or out for cover install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch pushrod should be screwed in or out for cover install

82 gs450t im new, clutch cover/chain cover off to clean out everything since the clutch cable was sticking. I also messed with the clutch rod it spins easiliy between my fingers. Im just wondering how far it should be screwed in or out when i put the cover back on? Screwed all the way out? all the way in? in the middle? thanks! also i was just told that the clutch cable should just push it in and the gizmo in the bottom picture doesnt spin it. but when i put the bike in first gear and push the rod in, i cant push the chain sprocket. and when i pull it out 1/4 inch i cant turn the chain sprocket either. when i unscrew the rod out 1 inch until it stops i still cant spin the chain sprockt. When the rod is screwed in i can snap the rod back and forth with my pinky toes 1/4 inch so is the gizmo supposed to push the rod in with the rod being pushed into the engine housing its farthest? cause i grabbed the rod weith vice grips and tried pushing it in farther and no go. so im stumped.

but heres the clutch rod
    [imghttp://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v31/Scoutsmommy/mini-insideofgizmo.jpg[/img] and here is where it goes no threading on either end. I dont understand how this works cause i can pull the rod out about a 1/4 inch and it will stop but then i can turn it counterclockwise and it will start spinning the rod out about an inch and there it will stop.

Anyone have the little clip that is held on by a screw and it slides over the choke rod and the choke lever moves the pins on the sides of the carbs up and down? i need one.

The clutch pushrod is a slider and is meant to move back and forth. There is no screw in or rod placement adjustment. Pushing on the end of the rod disengages the clutch plates as long as the rod is pushed in. If you cannot rotate the countershaft sprocket, then the bike's transmission is in gear. This would have nothing to do with installing the engine /countershaft cover. On bikes with a through the case clutch pushrod (as yours), on the outside of the clutch cover/case. you will see probably a small round coverplate with three scres holing the plate on. Under that you will find a slotted machine screw and a jamb nut. After the cover is installed, loosen the jamb nut and turn the slotted screw until you feel no tension on the screw. Then turn the screw down until you feel it just stop/make contact. Then back the screw off about 1/2 turn and tighten the jamb nut so the screw cannot change setting. Clutch free play adjustment is then made with the knurled adjuster at the clutch cable on top of the side cover/case and at the knurled adjuster at the handlebar.

Earl
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

thank you!

thats just what i needed to know! the little slotted screw cover has 2 screws in it for future reference. any idea how to adjust the clutch free play?

Comment

Clutch

The best way to adjust the clutch free-play is to add slack at the clutch lever by loosening the big fat round "wheel" and then turning in the small hand "wheel". This will create slack throughout the length of the cable. Next, loosen up the retaining nut where the clutch cable enters the case (surrounded by a rubber casing) and adjust the nut next to it in order to take up most of the slack (that you created at the lever).

Make sure you leave a little slack so that the clutch won't be partially engaged. When you finish that, make any necessary final adjustments at the clutch lever and you're ready to go!
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X