4into1 header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4into1 header

What kind of increase in power can i expect over stock and where would a good place be to find one? MAWONLINE does not carry one for a 85 gs700e. Any help would be great!

Re: 4into1 header

Originally posted by cguardsman
    What kind of increase in power can i expect over stock and where would a good place be to find one? MAWONLINE does not carry one for a 85 gs700e. Any help would be great!
    First thing you must remember that if you want more power, the header is definitely he correct place to start but unfortunately, air filter changes and carb re jetting will be necessary to realize results.

Comment

4 into 1 . Last summer I finally found one for my 85 700e. A jardine, The weight difference is huge. Draw back is no more center stand and I have to pull the whole system to change the oil. I still have jet and put on pods just can;t bring myself to spend 150 on 4 K&N filters.

I got mine at a local cycle salvage yard. Couple of dings but looked like it was never used. You can try there if you want, not the best web site but great people. http://www.milwaukeecycle.com/

Comment

It is a considerable amount of work even for those that know what they are doing but just as Dom said it is worth it in the end if you are really serious about eeking a little more out of the bike. It will give it to you.

Comment

In my experience if your bike is running good now, think about leaving it alone. IF you do upgrade and get more power you will soon get used to it and it will feel like stock again unless you install some ungodly things like big bore kits or turbo or such. This is just my opinion since i went with a 4-1 header and Dyno jet stage 3 kit with pods back in the 80's. I really felt a difference for some time but I got used to it. Was it worth it? Yeah i think so. Would I do it again? No

Comment

Yo Dig,

You can get good filters from APE for around 60 bucks..

Tell Jay an X NMRA racer sent you
            EULC ON

Comment

Well i have several reasons for wanting to put a header on and 1 is that the stock pipes are not in that great a shape. As far as removing the center stand i usually do that anyway because of the weight. I know that the 700 will never be a rocket but a little boost would be nice. I apprecieate everyones help and anyother suggestions or tips are always welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by cguardsman
                Well i have several reasons for wanting to put a header on and 1 is that the stock pipes are not in that great a shape. As far as removing the center stand i usually do that anyway because of the weight. I know that the 700 will never be a rocket but a little boost would be nice. I apprecieate everyones help and anyother suggestions or tips are always welcome.
                The 700 can be a good rocket when setup correctly. And you may luck out on the center stand should you want to keep it. I put a V&H 4 into 1 on my GS1000 and did not need to remove the center stand.

Comment

Originally posted by gsbill
                  Yo Dig,

You can get good filters from APE for around 60 bucks..

Tell Jay an X NMRA racer sent you
                  Those Ape filters look just like the K&N but i couldnt find any info on weather or not they are able to be washed like the K&N

Comment

Good luck on finding a pipe.

Your best bet is used or NOS that someone's had around the shop for awhile. And if you find one before I do - I'm gonna go cry.

As far as I know, even V&H discontinued their 4-1 megaphone for '83+ 750/700 E's.

Look for an air cooled pipe (can still be found new) for a first-generation GSXR750/1100 - header will fit, but you'll have to modify the mid-pipe.

-Q!

Comment

I just read the last post where it was suggested to use a first gen. GSXR750 header, do you guys know if one would fit a 79GS750?

Comment

I don't think so, the 8 valve motors are taller, and the gsxr pipes are a tight fit on the 16 valve motors.

Comment

You can always try e-bay. I'm sure you can still get a new MAC pipe as well. They aren't the greatest as far as performance or quality but they are not expensive either in comparison to others and they look and sound good.

Comment

I saw a Mac pipe on Ebay a couple of weeks ago and to be honest I think theyre ugly and I hear that they are pretty loud for the amount of performance that you get, I've also thought about keeping the stock headers on my bike and getting some Harley like turnouts welded on, descisions, descisions....

Comment

Thats what I'm doing.

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                              X