Instrument Cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instrument Cluster

Does anybody know what it would take to make a late model gsxr instrument cluster work on my 1150? My speedo and tach both jump all over the place, the tach being close to useless. So if I'm going to replace it, I like the look of these guages. I think the tach, and the hi beam, and signal lights would be pretty easy, but I'm not sure on the speedo. Does anybody know how those work, is it just a magnetic pickup somewhere? It probably isn't adjustable, so it may not be worth the effort. I suppose I could put a bike computer on top of the lcd part of the guages. Thoughts?

Luke,

I think the digital GSXR guages are triggered by something at the countershaft sprocket. Even if you got it to work the reading would be way off. The newer GSXRs run something like a 17 tooth countershaft. With the 4.5" rear I run I have gone to a 16/43 combo.

You would be better off with an analog guage so you just hook up your cable and figure out how much the guage is off by. The tach is no big deal to hook up.

Comment

Have you confirmed that your bouncing gauges are problems in the box, not the cables? Cables will do that.

Michael

Comment

I think it's quite probable that the speedo is bouncing due to the cable, but the tach, which is the real problem, is electrical.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
          Luke,

I think the digital GSXR guages are triggered by something at the countershaft sprocket. Even if you got it to work the reading would be way off. The newer GSXRs run something like a 17 tooth countershaft. With the 4.5" rear I run I have gone to a 16/43 combo.

You would be better off with an analog guage so you just hook up your cable and figure out how much the guage is off by. The tach is no big deal to hook up.
          Thanks, do you know which years they did the guages like you have on your bike? I like those quite a bit too.

Comment

The guages like mine would have been '88-'90 750 models. Anything up to the mid-late '90s should be analog.

Comment

There are some posts about the electrical inst clusters having bad capacitors (.47mfd@25V??) on the circuit board Maybe an easy fix??
              As to the GSXR inst you would have to hook up the sensor to the front sprocket and then hook up a Yellow Box for Speedo correction. Not worth the cost!

Comment

Yeah, I was going to do that to my GS700 tach, but couldn't find one of the capacitors locally. Where can you find capacitors of all sizes online? It may be worth a shot. Though I love the look of the gsxr guages, so this may qualify as an excuse to get a set.

Comment

Let me know what sizes you need I can get them

Comment

Working...
                  X