Fuel tank sealer or cream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel tank sealer or cream

Where can I find fuel tank sealer or cream? My tank has alot of rust inside and I want to seal it with whatever that stuff is. Thanks
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

I've never done it myself, but I believe the product you're talking about goes by a brand name "Kreem."

Michael

Comment

Kreem

You should probably do a search on the forum for information...I think some of the guys have had bad luck with that stuff (Kreem). I had my tank sealed at an independant bike shop for 80 bucks and it turned out really nice.

Also, you might want to check out www.por15.com/ . Look under "complete kits" and you'll find a cycle tank sealer kit....I have no idea whether this stuff is any good or not....maybe someone else will let us know. 8O
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I prefer POR15

I have used both kits and I prefer the POR15, that kit comes with better solutions (I think). I used it on a dirt bike tank with good results. The thing to watch in both kits (that they do not tell you) is after the acid cleaning (i.e. rust killing) the tank is very susceptable to rust, since you have to wash this acid out with water it only makes it worst. I suggest after the water rinse using an acetone rinse, this will remove the water and dry (evaporate) quickly, making for a quick transition to coating. My dad also uses some rubbery stuff that I have never used capable of sealing not only the tank surface, but pinhole leaks too, but he is into '40's era bikes, so that is more common.

Comment

I think KK has the right idea about getting rid of the water. Be careful with acetone, however, since it might destroy any paint that it might spill onto. You could also try denatured alcohol, the higher the percentage the better. When I did the POR-15 thing I used anhydrous methanol but that's potentially toxic and probably difficult for most people to get.

Jeff

Comment

Damnit, I can't find a single place here in MD that does tank sealing for less than 150 dollars. This bites. Perhaps I'll have to mail off my tank during cicada season. Damnit.

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
            X