GS Self Cancelling Indicator Control Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS Self Cancelling Indicator Control Unit

The one that came with my '78 GS1000E is long gone and someone has bypassed it with some simple jumpers. The end result is that I must operate the turn signals manually. This is not acceptable to me.

One of the things I loved about my first GS1000E was the self cancelling turn signal feature. I've done some looking around and have not found a resonable replacement for this module. I can't imagine them being still available at the dealer so I won't even go there.

Here's what I'm thinking; I'll build a new one from scratch. I have the expertise, as an electronics professional, I've built many systems much more complicated than this.

What I'd like to know is;

1. How many would be interested in a fully functioning replacement and at what cost?

2. Does anyone have a unit that is currently not working that they would donate to me for reverse engineering purposes? I would replace the unit with a new one at a reasonable discount.

I need some feedback on this. I am definately going to build one for myself but, if I can sell more to others, I would engineer it for low cost and reliability.

...an interesting concept, James, but before you invest a lot of time in this you might want to check with a Suzuki or aftermarket dealer to see if a more modern replacement for another bike might not easily convert for use with our GS's.

Let us know what you find out, thanks!

Steve 8)

Comment

Mine is supposed to be "self canceling" but doesn't do squat, and I actually prefer to have full control over my signals anyway. I read that sometimes those units will cancel your signal before you want it to and many people actually disabled the feature. Well, mine came disabled. I would have disabled it myself if it had worked. Just my $.02 \/

Comment

Originally posted by 80gs1000e
        Mine is supposed to be "self canceling" but doesn't do squat, and I actually prefer to have full control over my signals anyway. I read that sometimes those units will cancel your signal before you want it to and many people actually disabled the feature. Well, mine came disabled. I would have disabled it myself if it had worked. Just my $.02 \/
        I hear what you're saying.

The units are supposed to work like this; The turn signal (right or left) is set to flashing by a momentary closure of the turn signal switch, which means you can release the switch and the signal will continue to flash.

The signal will flash for a pre-determined length of time while you are waiting to turn. Once you begin rolling, the signal cancels. If you turn without actually stopping, the controller senses speed and cancels only when speed begins to increase again. If you are changing lanes on a roll, it flashes for a few seconds or so and cancels. You also have the option of manually cancelling at any time.

The problem with the older systems is that the speed sensors and timers that were used were quite crude in their design. They were limited in their "intelligence" and did not always work the way the rider thought they should. They also had no adjustability as to the cancelling speed and duration.

What I'm planning to build will be quite slick and fully adjustable. I plan to build a microprocessor based controller that will adapt to various situations without failure or premature cancellation.

I'll have to learn how the Honda, BMW and Harley systems work and see if they are adaptable.

Comment

Mine works, and although it occasionally cancels before I want it to I have adjusted. I just give it a little nudge occasionally if I think it's going to cancel prematurely. I personally prefer having it, especially knowing that 90% of the time it works as expected.

Steve 8)

Comment

Does Suzuki use a self-cancelling system on any current bikes? If so, you might want to start by investigating those systems, since there's more of a chance that they will use somewhat similar wiring components to our older GS's ... then again, they might be just as different as the other brands.

Regards,
            Steve 8)

Comment

I found this aftermarket system that may work. I'll have to call them and get a wiring diagram to see if it's compatible. I don't think so.

The GS system has a sensor in the speedometer that tells the controller how fast the bike is going.

The Kisan system has a cool running lights option that would be trick to add to my system. 4 way flashers would be nice to have as well. I don't think any of the Suzukis came with hazard lights.

I could also incorporate a brake light flasher circuit into the controller as an added bonus. Getting interesting?

Comment

I'd be interested in running/hazard lights on my 1100G, as well as an oscillating brake light.

Yep, it's getting interesting!

Steve 8)

Comment

Has anyone here had success incorporating a Kisan unit onto a GS?

Comment

I have not but they list the GS500E as a model they supply a unit for for all years. It should be a straight forward fit.

Comment

basaraj, just to let you know. The turn signal control unit is still sold by Suzuki. They are around $350 though. I was lucky to get one NOS for a bit less than 1/2 price from an ex-dealer at the swap meet. I have the part # in the garage if you want it. I may be wrong, but I think they have a problem with handling vibration. I mounted my new one with a layer of foam between it and the battery case. So far so good.
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I have a schematic for a simple timer similar to what is used in car alarms. Build one in stereo and you could adapt it for this use. By changing one or two components you can alter how long it delivers power.

Comment

Keith,

You are correct, the control unit is still available at $318.00.

That's a bit steep.

I've already designed a simple circuit that will easily intergrate into existing wiring and will "latch" the flashing turn signal, left or right, until the cancel button is depressed. It uses 3 DPDT relays and the existing flasher relay at a total cost of less than $30.00.

I will be posting a link to a schematic with a parts list in a day or two.

This simple system will be adequate until I design and build a microcontroller based system that will have the following features:

1. Speed sensistive self cancelling turn signals.
                          2. Half bright running lights.
                          3. Speed sensitive brake light modulator.
                          4. 4-way emergency flasher.
                          5. Easy integration.
                          6. Target cost of less than $200.00

I've already begun designing it.

Comment

Here is a link and a couple of images for a simple self-cancelling timer. By changing one resistor value you can vary the length of time the control stays on.

Comment

Working...
                            X