adjusting rear wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adjusting rear wheel

What's the best way to adjust my rear wheel so that it makes a straight line with the front wheel?

It already looks straight , but at certain speeds my GS750 starts to wobble

I've also got different tires front and rear....

Thanx,

Eck

The very best way would be a Laser Liner, but may be impractical. The simplest way is just to LOOK! You may put the bike on centerstand (if you have one) start the engine, shift to 1st and stand behind the wheel and just look if it revolves without "wobbles". Check the distance of the tire and the swing-arm on both sides. If you see nothing strange and still feel the frame is out-of-line, you may want to bring it to a car/motorshop and have it checked there. They should have the proper (alignment) tools.

Anyone else has a good "house-hold" tip here?

Comment

Easy way is to use a stringline between the front and back wheels. But remember (at least on the GS1000) the rear wheel is offset to the front...the wheel centres are not in the same line.

If the bike wanders a bit a bit more likely due to steering head bearing adjustment (probbaly too tight) may be due to tyres.

Comment

Originally posted by saaz
        Easy way is to use a stringline between the front and back wheels. But remember (at least on the GS1000) the rear wheel is offset to the front...the wheel centres are not in the same line.

I'm really curious about that. How can it run straight if the wheels are not in line?
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I doubt that you're wobble is caused by wheel misalignment. but I would take a good look at those tires. I've seen more handling problems caused by oversize or worn tires than anything else, especially worn rear tires. Get you some new original size tires and I'll bet you be amazed at the diference.
          Axel

Comment

Also depends on the type of wobble. Wheel alignment affects tracking. Wobble could be due to tyre mismatch, the behaviour of a worn tyre, wheel balance, suspension problems, wheel bearings, swing arm bearings, steering head bearings etc etc.

Comment

Also depends on the type of wobble. Wheel alignment affects tracking. Wobble could be due to tyre mismatch, the behaviour of a worn tyre, wheel balance, suspension problems, wheel bearings, swing arm bearings, steering head bearings etc etc.
              Had a wobble recently on my '83 GS750es and corrected it totally with the correct tightening of steering head bearings. Easy and worth checking.

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas

I'm really curious about that. How can it run straight if the wheels are not in line?
                What!?

Both my GS1000's wheels are in line.

Checked with accurate straight-edges.

Comment

Working...
                X