Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the toughest bolt you've run into on your GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Detman101
    Definitely the bolts holding the stock rear fender on.
    I squeezed, pushed, banged, used penetrating oil for an hour and FINALLY it broke loose and would spin!

So I'm there spinning the ratchet for 30 minutes wondering just how fine the bloody thread is on this stupid bolt! I get fed up and start wondering if the threading stripped and it's just perpetually spinning. So I have a look up under the fender and see a nice little NUT sitting on the bolt spinning along just as happy. I almost smacked myself in the head with the ratchet i felt so stupid.

Then once i acquired another ratchet and socket to put on the nut I found out that the evil thing had rusted solid to the bolt and wouldn't spin at all.
    Out came the chisel and hammer since I wasn't keeping the stock fender anyway. The bolts were broken in half and the fender removed but man...I must have spent about 2 hours just getting the rear fender off!!

Whew, glad the rebuild is over.
    Thank you Jesus!
    Dm of mD
    :P
    One word: DREMEL

After replacing the intermediate pipe (converter -> muffler) on a 91 Firebird, I gave up once-and-for-all on trying to unfasten stuck nut/bolt combos...

Dremel the bolt head off, pull the nut/shaft out, replace...

Comment

Re: The camshaft bearing cap nuts

Originally posted by roxjohn
      I was adjusting the cam chain tensioner on my 82 GS450 today, and I over-cranked the cranck shaft, the cam chain timing was off.
      So I removed the camshaft bearing caps, adjust the timing.
      When I tried to put the nuts back, I broke both nuts for the in-take side cap of right cylinder. The broken parts stuck in the engine block. I read the Haynes manual and it says "These bolts are the correct high tensile type. Do not use any other bolt to retain the caps or breakage may occur"
      I went to the auto parts store, bought the broken bolts remover and 2 same-sized bolts, the salesman told me they're "Harden" ones. So I supposed they'll hold the cap. Just when I spent 1 hour removing the remaining part of the bolts and tried to put the nuts back, I broke another original "High Tensile" nut. And I went back to the store, they told me the last two nuts I bought were the last two they had. What a lucky day!

Does anybody know if these harden bolts will hold?
      There is a number stamped in the top of each bolt...

IIRC, this denotes the hardness...

You'll find a better bolt selection at Ace, True Value, or whatever hardware store chain is prevalent in your area...

Comment

The ones previous owners have stripped....Arggh like the ones on top of my carbs errrrrrrrrrr! and the one that houses the stator cable, and the one the holds the seat section on from underneath---I wonder if using the correct tools ever passed through some peoples minds.

Comment

Re: What's the toughest bolt you've run into on your GS?

Originally posted by srivett
          I've been fighting the front engine mount bolt for a couple hours now! Wow, it took half an hour of continuous pounding with a 2 lb hammer just to get it to slide a bit. This is the only bolt I've ever found rusted on the 400 even after 2 years of winter riding but it sure is making some fun for me. The only reason I'm taking it out is to put on engine guards, which took 20 minutes to remove at the wreckers.

Steve
          Well, there's that head bolt that beat me up and took my wallet. But it did sucker punch me...

Comment

Working...
          X