can you explain this??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can you explain this??

why is it that on my 1978 gs1000 my front brakes work perfectly fine when i an riding my bike , but after i shut the bike dowen and come back in about 10-20 min and try to move the bike , the front brakes are locked up??i have to bleed a little fluid from the caliper to release the brake, then its fine till after i ride again. Any suggestions? nothing is clogged in the mastercylender either i took it completely apart and cleand it, i have blowen air through all the hoses and cleaned out the caliper, now what??

I'm not looking at the manual but I seem to recall that it's recommended you grease the caliper bolts. Suzuki requires a proprietary Suzuki grease but the service tech said only a generic white lithium grease would be necessary, and it was when I installed new pads. Obviously, the pads aren't releasing all the way but you're not noticing it while riding because the forward momentum is overcoming the drag. I know on Yamaha brakes of the era a small rubber dowel that supports the caliper bolt tends to dry-rot and the brakes act the way you describe. But I'd try the grease first if, as you say, it's not a leaking master cylinder.

Comment

Does the piston move freely?
      If it's binding you get a similar symptom.

Best bet?
      Take off the entire caliper assembly and spend an hour going over the whole thing.
      Read the manual before you start and you get a bonus of better mileage when you're done.

Comment

are you sure it's the correct master cylinder? If the master reservoir is too small, as the fluid heats up and expands from braking (after you park there's no airflow to cool them) it can force the caliper pistons out to their max, locking them up. If you leave it set overnight, does it do it?

Comment

If the rotors are getting hot under normal riding your caliper is not fully releasing. Sounds like a similar problem I had on my Triumph, The master cylinder was the culprit.

Comment

You could try going to the lower fill limit on the fluid and see if that gives your fluid more room to expand.

Comment

I would bet on two things. Your relief hole is stopped up in your master cylinder or your pistons in your caliper need to be removed and cleaned. Clean the o-rings well. You will be amazed at how well they will work.

Comment

rebuilding again

thanks guys ill go through the system again and pay special attention to what you guys told me to look for thanks again, ill let ya know how it turns out, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X