caliper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

caliper

the rear caliper on my gs 550m is sticking and was wondering what the best way to clean a sticking caliper would be. after using the rear brake a few times it like lockes up the back tire.

Thanks is advanced for all the info

Josh

I would start by cleaning the master cyl and flushing the system

Comment

Good advice.

Comment

If I am correct in assuming the brake is ok at first and only locks up after a few applications it sounds like the fluid is being trapped in the caliper and cannot return to the master cylinder. After a couple of applications the fluid gets hot and expands and applies the brake rather than returning through the line to the master cylinder. This could be caused by having the return port in the master cyl plugged up, or by the master cylinder push rod being out of adjustment so the piston is keeping the return hole covered. Unhook the pushrod from the brake pedal and make sure it is extended fully. If you have to push the rod in a little to reconnect to the pedal it is out of adjustment and could be causing the problem. If that is the case, shorten the rod some and test it again. Have you adjusted the brake pedal itself lately? Brake pedal position adjustments without rechecking the master cyl. push rod can cause this.

Hope this helps.

bob

Comment

after it has loocked up and if it stays engaged,crack open the bleeder and see if it releases. if it does than the problem is usually a brake hose collapse. happens with heat.works as a one way valve lets fluid flow thru but not back.if it does not release then its in the caliper it self.probably rust on the piston at the seal area oir sludge buildup.

Comment

Working...
          X