side stand install question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

side stand install question

i got a 79 GS550 for my girlfriend to learn on, it did not come with a kick stand and she can't get it on the center stand without help. Purchased a side stand off ebay but i do not see where it mounts. does anyone have any advice or better yet a picture of where it should mount to the bike?
    Thanks
    bill

it is posible that the previous owner transported the bike on its side stand and broke off the mounting tab. if this is the case you will need to fabricate one on your own and have it welded to the frame

Comment

i am pretty sure that is the case as there is a a place on the frame where it appears there was something that is ripped off. Approximatly in line (but below) the gear shift on the bottom of the frame.

Comment

sounds like the right location

Comment

I use my center stand whenever possible(side stand in dirt if it's not really packed since it's easier to find and line up one semi solid piece of somethign(board, rock, crushed pop can) than two. Anyways, it might be easier just to teach her the proper way to put it up on the center stand. I truly believe anyone could put my 400 up, so she could probably do the 550 as well. If not, I'll trade you my 400 for the 550.

Comment

You'll need to get one welded on. go to any junker and they shouls be able to weld it on for you. I know I never use my center stand on my 1100 because I could not get it to work, and I am a 215 pound 6 foot military type. After I raked my bike out and lowered it 2 inches of course the thing became utterly useless and I cut it off saves about ten pounds from that piece of crap.

Comment

Working...
            X