thread locker..locktite..etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thread locker..locktite..etc

so my question is when puttings things back together hwo often or little do you use this stuff.....

examples i'm interested in would be carbs, installing case guards, replacing handlebars etc

carbs = none
    case guards = soft loctite but usually just a nyloc nut
    handle bars = commonly the blue loctite

Comment

Read what Don said for answers.

Please also note he said use BLUE Loctite (or similar thread locker)

DO NOT use red Loctite except on larger diameter bolts..

Red makes a considerably stronger bond, and if it is used on bolt diameters of less than 3/8 inch you have a fair chance of breaking the bolt when it comes time to remove it.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I don't need to use it on the suzuki...the ural's another story, the blue Loctite is removable, the red can be removed, but, it's a bitch unless you heat it up with a torch first. Don't use any on the carbs! Never-Sieze on any bolt that goes into aluminum, cases, etc. is much more important ,IMO, especially exhaust bolts,helps keep the threads from binding, snapping, or stripping due to bi-metal corrosion

Comment

If you have a Suzuki factory manual, they are pretty good at telling you what needs to have thread cement and what kind. You mentioned the carbs. The screws that hold each carb to the mounting bracket need blue Loc-tite.
          The valves for the forks need blue Loc-tite. It can be a good idea to use it wherever it's not easy to reach the particular fastener during routine nut/bolt checking. I don't use cements much because I've never had a problem with loose fasteners.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
            X