what the heck is this ?!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what the heck is this ?!!!!

ok so im gonna change my oil. So i drop the plug & let the oil out when i notice a small wire (like a spring>) hanging out the hole where the oil plug goes . ummmmm........is that supposed to be there? Never saw it before ! Should i try to pull it out ?
    Thanks
    Vinny

Are you sure this isn't the remains of the thread from the hole??? Happened to me last year - undone the drain plug and it brought out half of the thread with it!

You may as well pull it out and see what it is, then try refitting your drain plug and see if it'll tighten up.

Comment

Has the pan ever been heli-coiled? Could be part of a heli-coil.

Comment

Yes. Pull it out.

Michael

Comment

If it is a heli-coil be prepared to do something to rethread the pan. Here is a thread on an easy fix.

Comment

Thanks a bundle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok so you guys were right on the money as USUAL!!!!!!!! I also did a search on here & found an oversized oil plug(self tapping) & WooooHooooooooooo Im back on the road & on my Birthday too. The gods are smileing on me today! Gotta love an easy fix when ya get it !
            As always THANKS A BUNCH PEOPLE OF GSR!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Happy Birthday. I discovered the threads on my bike were wiped out last fall as I was preparing to leave on about a 1000 mile weekend. Spent about 2 hours trying to find a way to fix it. Finally I stumbled across the oversized plugs. I spent more time looking for a fix than actually fixing the pan.

Comment

Working...
              X