exhaust baffled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust baffled

Hey there gs'ers, got a question...i got an 86 gs 1150 efe and a Vance Hines 4:1...today i took the clothe wrapping off the baffle , just to see what it would sound like....and it sounds awesome...but is this bad for the bike or the pipes? I just got them and I'd hate to ruin them with discoloration or anything.....thx

i HAVE A 4/1 PIPE ON MINE AND THE FIBERGLASS IS JUST FOR ABSORBING OR MAKING THE SOUND DEEPER. i DONT THINK IT CHANGES ANYTHING BUT THE SOUND. iF YOU LIKE THAT SOUND THEN TAKE THE BAFFEL OUT ALTOGETHER AND ROCK THE WALLS 8O 8O

Comment

The fiberglass eventually deteriorates anyway.

Comment

I have the same pipe on one of mine. I run thier performance baffle. It sounds and runs better. The more open the baffle the leaner your engine will run usually. A more open baffle usually requires a step up in main jets and possible move on your needles.

Comment

baffle

what if you can`t remove the baffles , can you drill more holes in the end to make it louder ? someone told me you could do that , just wondering , thanks

Comment

The main difference with the performance baffles is the hole in the center and inner tube that the fiberglass wraps around is much bigger. The result is less back pressure and better flow. I`m not sure drilling holes will help a lot.

Comment

Re: baffle

Originally posted by GS_rider
              what if you can`t remove the baffles , can you drill more holes in the end to make it louder ? someone told me you could do that , just wondering , thanks
              i have done that on more than one bike and found that it doesnt usually effect anything but the sound. One thing that i have done is to stick a steel rod into the end of the muffler and knock out the small restriction that is usually welded into the system. It is usually just a washer that is tack welded there on the end of the tube--inside .

Comment

Well I took the fiberglass out and cut it down to a quater of its original size and I wrapped the very start of the baffle , cause i found there was abit of a metal on metal sound from where the baffle touched the pipe. So the end of the megaphone has no fiberwrap...this gives me a good balance i find...loud but still a deep sound. Also when i took the fiberglass out completly it deffinitly leaned out my settings , but all seems good now, didnt need to mess with the carbs at all...and thank god, cause I've spent countless hours finetuning those damn things

Comment

Working...
                X