need tip on installing reg/rectifier on 79 gs750e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need tip on installing reg/rectifier on 79 gs750e

A mechanic friend just sent me a new tour max regulator/rectifier that he assures me is compatible with my 1979 gs750e.
    One problem: the old r/r has a red/white wire, but the new r/r has a green with white tracer wire instead (no red/white wire). Can I just hook it up like the old one and pretend that the green with white tracer wire is really red and white?

Please excuse my ignorance.

thanks for any tips

Jonathan

Portland, Oregon

No worries!

That's a great question, Jonathon, and that's what this forum is all about. Your red/white wire goes to the lighting switch. You should also have a blue/white wire that grounds to the generator and a hot wire which is yellow that also goes to the generator. There's also a red wire that goes to the fuse box. Take a look and match them up and I think you'll quickly figure it all out. Good luck!!

If I'm wrong about any of this, someone will soon straighten us both out!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

thanks

Chucky Cheese,

Thanks for the quick reply. I wasn't very clear in my first post, but I think you've helped me get closer to figuring this out.
      My old reg./rectifier has five wires (Red/white, red, blue/white,
      black/white, yellow)

My new reg./rectifier also has five wires (green/white, red, blue/white, black/white, yellow)

It seems to make sense that I should go ahead and connect the green/white of my new part into the lighting system.

Thanks again,

Jonathan

Comment

Re: thanks

Of those 5 wires on your R/R, three of them will be for AC input from your stator. Two of them will be DC OUTPUT to battery. Of the two 12 volts DC output, one will be positive and one will be negative. If you misconnect any of those wires even once, you will burn up your new R/R. I would find out for sure which wires on the replacement R/R are what before I connected anything, You dont get any free guesses and no mistakes are allowed.

Earl

Originally posted by Jonathan
        Chucky Cheese,

Thanks for the quick reply. I wasn't very clear in my first post, but I think you've helped me get closer to figuring this out.
        My old reg./rectifier has five wires (Red/white, red, blue/white,
        black/white, yellow)

My new reg./rectifier also has five wires (green/white, red, blue/white, black/white, yellow)

It seems to make sense that I should go ahead and connect the green/white of my new part into the lighting system.

Thanks again,

Jonathan
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
        X